Joe Buchanan’s Scottish Tome update and some abc notation used that’s entirely weird…

Joe Buchanan’s Scottish Tome update and some abc notation used that’s entirely weird…

Look at line seven, first measure in the scan if you will:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/Scottish_Tome/Page_651.pdf

then look at the abc notation below that "works" to depict it. Ghastly. Zero divided by two! I think I just flunked math… However, this is the last page of Joe Buchanan’s Scottish Tome and my first (and last) check pass through all 1102 tunes across 652 scanned pages. There is more to do but the light at the end of the tunnel - is probably still a train.

X:1102
T:Mrs. Mary Printy
%%score ( 1 2 )
C:Joe Buchanan’s Scottish Tome - Page 652.0
I:652 0
C:Iain MacPhail
R:Reel
L:1/8
Q:1/4=120
M:2/4
K:F
V:1
AA cc | fe/f/ g/f/c/A/ | BB dd | e^d/e/ g/e/c/B/ |
AA cc | fe/f/ g/f/c/A/ | BB e/c/B/G/ | AF A z :|
F/G/ | AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | GE/G/ C/G/E/G/ | GE/G/ C/G/E/G/ |
AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | GE G/E/C/E/ | FF F :|
C | FF AA | c=B/c/ d/c/A/F/ | GG | c=Bc d/c/B/G/ |
FF AA | c=B/c/ d/c/A/F/ | GG cB B/B/G/E/ | FF F :|
x A/B/ | cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cB/c/ E/c/B/c/ | cB/c/ E/c/B/c/ |
cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cA/c/ B/G/E/G/ FF F :|
V:2
x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 | x2 |
x C0 D0/2 E0 |
%
W:Errata: See the first measure line seven? I used a really horrible way in abc notation to accomplish
W:what’s in the scan. Ugh. Zero divided by two. Fortunately, those notes won’t actually play.

Re: Joe Buchanan’s Scottish Tome update and some abc notation used that’s entirely weird…

Being a musician, and horrible at math, it’s all gibberish to me. Show me the dots.

Re: Joe Buchanan’s Scottish Tome update and some abc notation used that’s entirely weird…

Paste the abc code in your abc editor of choice. ABC Navigator, EasyABC etc. That’s where you get the dots. This forum sits on a large collection of abc notation tunes - over 28,000 of them.

I suspect that this is somebody’s non-standard variant of abc. Any ideas anyone?

The phrase in question is the ‘x A/ B/’. It’s also using the ‘x C0 D0/2 E0’ further down to provide the double stops by producing an entire other layer in the ABC - there are three lines of x2s which are basically blank, and a bunch of notes of 0 length - one of which is written 0/2 length. Yes, quite ghastly, and not particularly human readable. You can also write D0/2 as D0/, which would mean exactly the same and be slightly more perplexing 🙂

I have no idea if there is a better way to produce double stops in ABC - I couldn’t find anything after checking through the documentation for the standard.

AB, the voice overlay works well, and you can substitute this ABC for the above:

AA cc | fe/f/ g/f/c/A/ | BB dd | e^d/e/ g/e/c/B/ |
AA cc | fe/f/ g/f/c/A/ | BB e/c/B/G/ | AF A z :|
F/G/ | AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | GE/G/ C/G/E/G/ | GE/G/ C/G/E/G/ |
AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | AF/A/ C/A/F/A/ | GE G/E/C/E/ | FF F :|
C | FF AA | c=B/c/ d/c/A/F/ | GG | c=Bc d/c/B/G/ |
FF AA | c=B/c/ d/c/A/F/ | GG cB B/B/G/E/ | FF F :|
x A/B/ & C0 D0/2 E0 | cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cB/c/ E/c/B/c/ | cB/c/ E/c/B/c/ |
cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cA/c/ F/c/A/c/ | cA/c/ B/G/E/G/ FF F :|

We didn’t get to the bottom of the D0/2 puzzle, but the ABC is a lot nicer.
As an amateur ABC writer, thanks, this is useful.

Thanks OuluPulu, I rather like your approach better. There is always something new to be learned. This forum is a good resource to learn from! The only question now is whether it’s been deprecated or not. If not, I have a few tunes to fix in the tome.

Well, when you start out with a piece of non-standard notation, it’s pretty obvious the result is going to be rather ugly in code.

Also, I hate to mention it at this late stage, but sure this tune would be more comfortable to write in ABC with L=1/16?

Posted by .

"Also, I hate to mention it at this late stage, but sure this tune would be more comfortable to write in ABC with L=1/16?"

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I used Smartscan Lite for the heavy lifting and that software usually made a choice on tunes like this between 1/16 and 1/8. After a while, I just became more comfortable with using 1/8 so that’s why there are are a lot of slashes. The alternative would be a slew of 2’s and I did a lot of the tunes in that length as well. Smartscan Lite made every tune 4/4 meter. Always fun. After 10 months of this stuff, I’m glad I’ve reached a point where I’m almost finished.

Thanks for the pointer Ben. There is no text in the tome so the deprecation doesn’t apply. There are only three tunes that have the extra voicing so I’ll convert them. Next week. I’m taking a break.

I’m not an expert in playing, theory, or ABC, but I’m curious. What is going on in the problem measure? Is it a C grace note up to a double stop pair of sixteenth notes? If that’s what is going on, then you could dispense with the two voices, and use

{C}[A/D/][B/E/]

to create that measure, and ABC should handle it fine. (As you have this tune written, it immediately crashed my copy of ABCexplorer as soon as I tried to play the tune. Never had a tune crash the program so fast and completely before!) Any notes inside { } brackets are treated as a grace note, and any notes inside [ ] square brackets are played as double-stops, or whatever words non-mandolin/fiddle players use for multiple notes stacked upon each other.

If the measure isn’t a grace note to a pair of double-stops, what is it supposed to be? Is it representing an alternate beginning to that section? Say a triplet or roll up to the first measure? In that case, I’m sorry, I don’t know of a good way to represent it other than how you have it already. Nice tune, by the way. Think I’m going to have to add it to my practice sessions. And since I’ve done way too many proof-listenings of my own ABC transcriptions and still missed lots of clunkers, the last measure in line 5 should have two /’s added to the =Bc to get | c=B/c/ d/c/B/G/ |

Hey Rob - I’ve got another 1101 abc tunes that could use proof-reading. Seriously though, thanks for catching the missing slashe(s). I missed a flat symbol in that measure as well. The only reason I declared the notes as length (zero) was to make the stems disappear to reflect the notes on the original scan. I thought the notes wouldn’t play in EasyABC since they have "less-than-zero" values but lo and behold - they do! Perhaps it’s the first documented case of reverse entropy and those slashed notes are progressing through time reversed individually. The thought boggles the mind.

I had an error there as well as EasyABC pointed out to me. Using OuluPulu’s information, that specific measure should read:
x A/B/ & C0 D0/ E0/
Let me know if that crashes ABC Explorer. I’m curious to know.

I have no idea of what the intent was behind those stemless notes.

I deleted the V1: and V2: lines, deleted the entire V2: x2 | x2| x2| etc,etc section, and I put in: x A/B/ & C0 D0/ E0/ and it worked just fine, and notation displayed was the same as the original, with three stemless notes. ABCexplorer also played the semi-non-existant notes as well.

I also remembered later that the technical term for "multiple notes stacked upon each other" is a chord. I believe nowadays the proper response is "Well, duh!?" In my defense, I was thinking of 3 notes or more for a proper chord, or "Gm" and "Bb" etc. as being ABC notation for chords. If you think of double-stops as chords, albeit two-note chords, then refer to either of the two ABC standards references in the URLs posted by AB, and check out section "4.17 Chords and unisons", and there’s how to do basic double-stops and chords. However, the double-stop/chord notes will need to be of the same length, so a sixteenth note over a lengthless note still won’t work, so your voice-overlay trick is the only way I know of to replicate the original notation.

I’d offer to help with your 1100 tunes or so, but I’m still slogging through a local fiddle group’s tunes, most of which are hand-written and hard to read, so I’ve been transcribing them over into ABC to make my life easier—by doing lots of extra work. Oh well. Let us know when you’re done and have all the tunes posted. I’ll add that to my 3 foot tall pile of tunes and have at them. "Sands of Kuwait" looks intriguing, having spent too much time in said sands.

I’ve gotten rather good (cough, choke, gasp) at using my software to (somewhat) efficiently convert handwritten scores to abc. I was almost - almost… - inclined to offer to give you a hand with them until you mentioned the "3 foot tall pile". Ouch. Have at it my friend and we’ll all cheer you on from the sidelines. ;^)

I use two note chords on the mandolin frequently but I’m pretty certain that the score in question is using multiple voices. Of some sort. Could be camels braying for all I know.