Help! Need some opinions about M&E flutes (O’Cronnelly)

Help! Need some opinions about M&E flutes (O’Cronnelly)

Hi there!
I just wonder what do you think about a keyless M&E flute, made by Mr. O’Corennelly (county Mayo).
A friend of mine is selling this rosewood flute (I’ll put a couple of links for some pics) and she’s asking 230 euros.
I have to say that it will be my first flute and not my main instrument (I already play pipes, whistles and guitar).
Do you think it would be good for me?
Thank you!

Photos:
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13754540_295179384167770_7382512213154341591_n.jpg?oh=619e8322ec13258f3d9521f88cfe18c6&oe=582BDA96

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13726643_295179494167759_7619288959574743931_n.jpg?oh=ff47282d399e9098239ce1eed2b57c95&oe=57EB7EE1

Posted by .

Re: Help! Need some opinions about M&E flutes (O’Cronnelly)

I have two of his delrin flutes keyed and unkeyed and also an ebonite unkeyed one. I love them all three. I think he is a good flute maker. 230 Euros is not htat much money for a good flute.IMO

I’ve had a six-keyed M&E flute for a few years now and I second Stefanremy’s post.

I still play both 6-keyed and un-keyed M & E flutes, in delrin, for over a decade. I have others from other makers to compare. when I pick up and play the M & E I can safely say that I’m not missing much. 230 Euro is real bargain for something that you may well be able to play for the rest of your life. To me it’s a no brainer.

I have a keyless M&E and it is a great instrument. Being delrin, it is my take anywhere bulletproof flute. Highly recommended.

Happy to hear such good opinions about it, I think I’m going to buy it! Anyway, all of you have delrin flute, is there anyone who has a rosewood flute?
Thanks!

Posted by .

They are perfectly fine and playable instruments, but if I were in your shoes I’d save just a tiny more, as there are several really great makers a bit above that price range (while still not breaking the bank). If you get the M&E you might very well want to upgrade not long after getting the hang of things.

Hello Torc, I have a Rosewood Eb made by Mr. Connelly - and a fun little tooter it is. Michael makes excellent entry level flutes, and takes some beating in the value for money stakes. He has a solid reputation, and is a gentleman to deal with. Should you ever decide to upgrade to a higher level instrument at a later date, you should have no trouble finding a buyer for the Cronnelly.

I seem to recall playing a wooden M & E some years ago, but then just about any flute I played was better than me. So I’m not a great judge. I can say that it seemed, just like the delrin, as good as any I’ve played, nice tone, volume, and stability (all the things that probably have more to do with the player anyway).

By the way, there seems to be some notion floating around about sooner or later you’ll want to “upgrade”, that Mr. Cronnolly’s flutes are “entry level”. If you strip away all the reasons (there are some) for wanting to spend a lot of money and/or wait a long time for a “name”instrument and get down to actuality playability, you’ll find that you can play, unapologetically, the M & E, as I said above, for rest of your life, anywhere, anytime and with anyone. I find nothing entry-level about them except that many entry level players often choose them. My opinion anyway.

O‘Cronnelly, O’Corennelly, Connelly, Cronnelly, Cronnolly--are we all talking about the same man? ; ) For the record, I have an M&E ebonite 8-key with which I am quite content. I have played on a few friends’ blackwood 6-key flutes from well known makers and can’t say I sound any better on those than on my M&E. Thank you, Michael and Evelyn (Cronnolly) for supplying the world with decent quality, highly affordable flutes!