3 Things…..

3 Things…..

As we’re only allowed to submit one discussion per day I thought I’d cheat and put three things on the one thread. These are:

1. Comments about sessions.

2. TheSession T-shirts.

3. Southwark Irish Festival.

1. Comments about sessions.
This is not an appeal, just an observation and an invitation, if you like. I notice that our vociferous little group of sessioneers down here in SE London, myself, Cath, Aidan and Sarah the Flute are in the habit of posting comments, not just here, but also in the sessions section. Almost like a log, in some cases. Personally I think it’s a nice idea as it shows people (even potential visitors) that the sessions are very much alive and kicking, and it’s just nice to be able to chat specifically about your particular session. I also notice, after a quick surf around, that not a great deal of other sessions do this. Just to say, I would recommend to do so. It’s fun.

2. TheSession T-shirts.
Just an idea - maybe in the same colours as this site. Any thoughts?
Before we actually *DO* anything we’d best wait till Jeremy is back - his site after all. But I thought it would be fun.

3. Southwark Irish Festival.
This isn’t really a notification that this event will be taking place this coming weekend, Sat 3rd Sun 4th July, in Peckham Rye Park London SE15. More like some thoughts on the nature of this type of event from one who is "biased" in favour of the Pure Drop. This event, supported by Southwark Council, will include lots and lots of country music, the old bit of ceili band, some Irish bands of various musical tastes, Irish dancing, etc…but NO SESSIONS. Or any actual trad music. Of any description.

I for one will have better things to do. Like cleaning the skidmarks out of Dow’s underpants, for example. In other words anything is better than going to that fiasco. I’ve been a couple of times before so I speak from bitter experience. Do any other folk have similar experience of these "Oirish" Festivals?

Re: 3 Things…..

Oh Danny, Danny - the timing’s all wrong.

If we’d had a bit more notice we could have got the T-shirts printed, and then gathered at the Southwark Festival and discussed our sessions.

If you decide to do T-shirts, contact me and I’ll see if I can get a very good price out of one of my customers who prints T-shirts.

Dave

Ha ha! nice one dave. Let’s give the discussion an airing first.

Now there’s a thing. Any graphic designers out there who will design a ‘thesession’ t shirt and get Jeremy’s approval for it?

Well, Jeremy’s a graphic designer himself, you know, as well as a programmer. But if he doesn’t want to, I’ll do it. Kevin is also a designer as well. Um. Besides the color, what’s the one thing that says thesession.org to everybody?

We can also have the t-shirts printed up by one of the web-based companies like Cafe Press or some such — that way no one has to round up orders and go to the post office for the rest of their lives, and people can just order online and have the things sent directly to them. The t-shirts are printed on an as-needed basis. Very handy. If we sell them at cost, they’ll be quite cheap, comparatively speaking.

1. Danny, I did notice that too. We really are a gobby bunch round Lewisham way.

2. I know it’s meant to be mustard yellow but the t-shirts would be a bit too orange for some tastes I reckon. Anyway, it’s too close to my complexion for me to wear.

3. Went to the Southwark Festival last year. Not impressed by the Irish stage but bumped into a couple of session guys, Sean and Chris and some of the bands did have good fiddlers, albeit buried under the rock guitar racket. The country music stage was a lot more fun as it actually delivered the sort of stuff you expected, the songs of Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, etc. I go this year though, it’s a pain to get to by bus and I can’t stand big crowds.

Skidmarks of Dow’s underpants, the guy who resents our name dropping? Would that be because he only knows two names - Basil (his mandola) and Tina (his concertina)?. Oh, and 🙂

Posted by .

More like mousemats, coffee cups and flute swabs 🙂 Put me down for all of the above.

Posted by .

I don’t see why it should commercialize anything.

Me either. What about simple yellow text on a black t-shirt, over the heart, or is that too subtle for the likes of us? 😛

Posted by .

What’ll the glee club logo look like? 🙂

Joe

Yes, mustard yellow logo boxer shorts for the glee club would certainly be perfect. *grin* Don’t laugh, you can probably get them. http://www.cafeshops.com/sctls — somewhere out there, Mike Henry’s nephews all have a matching set of FHC boxers. I’ve been promised a picture at some point — beefcake! 🙂

Btw

Jeremy is obviously still in touch. The sheet music IS getting done.

Joe

The Glee Club will not have a logo.
The Glee Club will have a complete outfit.
And you know what it will be don’t you.

Any chance while I’m busy that you could find a good supplier for the leotards and the gogo boots.

Dave

I could design us a t-shirt. But why don’t we have a Session t-shirt design competition. Stick all the designs on a webpage, and vote for the most popular? That should waste a fair bit of redundant work-time….
Mark

Wow! Guys! I only put this thread up about an hour ago, and we’ve got 17 hits so far. I must have done something right for a change.
I’m sorry but I’m off now for the weekend so I won’t youse till Sunday night/Monday morning. Have fun discussing point #2…oh and 1&3 if you remember!

Oh yeah, Mark, def a logo contest. We should also have a motto contest. *grin* Keep it clean, guys.

"Gobshites & Orangemen" ??

Posted by .

Heh, bring on the salacious punning in Latin…

Posted by .

Now then hmmmm who was it that supplied the original leotard and go-go boots, Dave? Was it Em.? Deb? They’ve been so popular and so many people have borrowed and lain claim to them that I’ve got a bit muxed dip.
Zina has offered to do some fancy needle-work for us in the past an’ all.
Anyway, Dave, you go on about your business. We’ll take care of the glee club gear and thanks for the upgrade from logo to full (or half) kit status.
Ok guys and seamstresses….!

Joe

Joe

Joe, I did "supply" the go-go boots. Then you lent them to Dave’s solicitor. I do recall that Rose wanted to give them a try, maybe she has them. Hmmm, maybe my sister still has hers. They wen’t quite as "chic" as mine, but what the heck.

Deb.

It’s the gold tassels that make the outfit, though.

Zina, I definately agree, most especially on Joe himself!

And make sure you follow it up with Sitting On the Throne, the one that James Kelly plays with it (having wrote both).

Jesus, you’re fast, Jeremy! Can we get a mustard yellow knotwork version? *grin*

Is there any thing Irish about the Southwark Irish Festival?, other then the odd bit if Ceili Band Music.

I can recommend Cafe Press, as they’ve done a nice job with our stuff:

http://www.cafeshops.com/SLPC

The shirts are good quality - Hanes or sommat. Just make sure any graphics you submit are high contrast, which I think shows up better on t-shirts. And thongs. Gotta have thongs.

Mark

Zazzle offers the basic t-shirt in gold, which is very close to the background color here. And Jeremy’s trinity logo shows up nicely. I’ve already ordered mine.

Thanks Jeremy for a tasteful design and an insanely prompt response to Danny’s idea. Your talent for improving this site and respondingto our goofy ideas no longer surprises me—it’s more like amazement. 🙂

Posted .

I’m definitely getting one of those T-shirts! LOL @ bribanjo’s "dow nunder".

Don’t be too harsh on Southwark Irish Festival. The programme may not be to everyone’s taste, but the main organisers are Southwark Irish Arts and Cultural Development (SICAD) who are a voluntary organisation, and part of the proceeds raised over the two days goes toward maintaining SICAD’s first-rate classes in Irish language and Irish traditional music which take place on Thursday nights oin term-time in St Thomas More’s Hall, Lordship Lane, East Dulwich. The teacher of the music classes (beginners through to advanced) is Gerry Diver, a fantastic fiddler and multi-instrumentalist, frequently seen in sessions as well as many gigs. These types of class are the seedbeds for the ITM of the future, as well as providing much enjoyment for older beginners or more experienced players. Anyone who feels brave enough to attend, despite Lord of the Flies’s comments, would be most likely to find something they like on the Sunday, when the programme starts at 12 noon after open-air Mass. And even if they hate it, it’s all in a good cause…

Jane R

Posted by .

I just got home. What was that about dow nunder pants?

Ok, someone suggested that people here might come up with T-shirt designs and I started thinking about it even though there’s no competition or such thing and Jeremey hasn’t indicated any desire in having one. Then while I was working on a design, Jeremey comes up with a brilliant design and it’s already available and everything. I’m desperately lo-tech I guess, and my designs suck of course, and I never intended for any of my designs to actually become shirts — I’m just having fun doing it — kind of like when I play ITM. But did I let any of that stop me? NO! (Pity isn’t it?) So, for your perusal I submit 2 more designs.

I really like black T-shirts so here’s another design for those kind:

http://www.tipsyhouse.com/sessionTshirt_3.jpg

Here’s the artwork up-close:

http://www.tipsyhouse.com/sessionorg_3.jpg

Then Will mentioned a gold T-shirt, so I did one for that color too:

http://www.tipsyhouse.com/sessionTshirt_2.jpg

Oh… and I forgot to add that I came up with the lame motto all by myself too. None of what I do should be considered official or anything like that.

bah… zazzle doesn’t like my credit card :(
anyone else having trouble ordering?

Posted by .

er, strike that. s’all good.

I went for the yellow raglan. Tres chic.

Posted by .

Re: Thing 1

You Lewisham lot are indeed gobby, and it’s entertaining in an amusing and fairly pointless way. Of course there is nothing wrong with, and everything to be said for, pointlessly wasting time. The fact that not many other sessions make free with their words on this website discussing their sessions etc. reflects a feature of group communication behaviour in this country of ours. It seems in any largish community of people, from staff meetings in the workplace to much bigger things, there’s always a vociferous few who do most of the talking, and the vast majority of the others just stay quiet. As for the Shillelagh the other weekend, after the Catford beer festival, when I visited for some tunes, I was entertained to see that you were all so pissed that none of you could speak. This explains why you spend the rest of the week chatting idly over the net!!

Re: Thing 2

Yes, amazed at your speed Jeremy. I’d favour your design of the plain celtic knot and the web address. Simple but effective, like many of the best tunes, and maybe even like me. Shouldn’t the colour be green? I really dislike yellow! It’s just not my colour.

I wish the camisole came in yellow. But it doesn’t. So pink is probably too cute, so it’s a white camisole, I suppose, because I swore off t-shirts a bit back. Oh, wait! Maybe I’ll get a hoodie instead!

Shopping dithering

I meant, I swore off *buying* t-shirts. I live with a man who was a radio and club dj for over half his life, so we have more concert t-shirts for strange bands than anyone could possibly wear in a lifetime.

I know exactly what you mean, Zina. I also live with a man who still is a radio and club DJ.

Probably not in the same way, mind you, but we do share a house, and between us we must have about a gazillion freebie T-shirts floating around - we can’t keep track of whose is whose, so they’re kinda communal property (at last count we had 23 U2 t-shirts, we think they breed if you leave more than 5 in the same cupboard overnight).

Cut-up bits of t-shirts make great designer flute swabs too!

But I’m quite happy to fork out cash for this. Time I gave something *in* to the textile industry for a change 🙂

Posted by .

Wow Pete - p!ssed as we were, at least we remember your visit to Shillelagh’s and personally I thought you played some wonderful sets. You kindly wrote some of them down to me and I’ve now learnt them. As you may have seen from our iddle patter, we’ve had to stop Shillelagh’s over the summer as everybody is on holidays. We’re starting again in September and hope to see you and Andy there again.
Aidan and I are thinking of going to Andy’s session one Sunday over the summer as it sounds like a good day out in Kent.

Posted by .

Pete …

Whilst some of our number may have been so inebriated on the night in question that the power of speech deserted us (myself and his Lordship were probably the worst offenders in this regard), some of our crew were relatively much more sober and did not make such a lig of themselves. So it’s not fair to tar all with the same brush. For my part, I’m happy to accept that on the night in question, I was out of order (not the first time, probably not the last). However when m’Lord and myself regained the powers of (electronic) speech, one of the first things we did was to apologise to both Andy and yourself.

Whiskey!! Whiskey!!

Posted by .

Hey - I’ve just ordered my thesession t-shirt - in gold! (ie the session colour…not to everyone’s taste, but I’m not noted for my sartorial elegance). I need something to cheer me up right now!

It should go really well with your red shoes.

Posted by .

…which now reside in our caravan in Suffolk, the place where all my tasteless clothes are now banished, thank you dear. Can I scratch your eyes out if I let you do mine…miaoww.

:~}

I’ve ordered my T-shirt too… but has anyone else nosed around zazzle long enough to come across the fiddle-playing leprechaun? Arrgghh!!!!

Posted by .

Ouch, sorry your lordship, I simply could not stop myself. I must remember that the proverb is better lose a jest than a friend, not the other way round. 🙂
But how about me as an elegant Frenchwoman - Am I not a walking contradiction of this myth?
I’d like a fiddle playing leprechaun on a tee-shirt but some wise guy might make a remark about the physical likeness.

Posted by .

Re fiddle-playing leprechauns. In a park in Lewisham I once found a little plastic flute-playing leprechaun. It bore an uncanny resemblance to Tansey (if you shut one eye, squint with the other, etc.) after who it is now named!

Zina,

Back in November you posted about a visit to a couple of friends in the Sebastapol area that I went to school with.
(yes, an old Jamestown, CA. resident, now in Reno, NV)

Can you forward my email to them?

cknyberg@gbis.com

Thanks

cknyberg, pls check your e-mail that you use for your profile at TheSession — I’m not sure exactly which friends you mean, so don’t know who to forward your address to! 🙂