Ode To A Butterfly

Re: Ode To A Butterfly

Sorry - not a fan.

Posted by .

You do know that mandolin has the same fingering as violin right? So reading the tabs should be no issue.

Worthington, it might be a good idea for you to invest some time learning to transcribe music yourself. Most of your posts here are asking for transcriptions, which isn’t the purpose of this site.

It’s an issue if you aren’t used to reading tabs..period. Musical notation is no harder really.
I can do both but now prefer music. It’s always good to offer both options though.

Also, musical notation gives you the opportunity to "make the notes" where and how you wish. You may want to choose slightly different fingering or another position. I find tabs more restrictive.

Just checked the OP’s posts and Wesley has a point. ;-)

It is useful to learn these skills for yourself. Everything that’s worthwhile takes a bit of effort and time. Mind you, there are also many software programs which can help to do the job for you too.

Or … you could ask for it to be done as a paid job :)

Hello,
I don’t intend to be uncivil or disparaging of the original poster though I personally think now may be
the right time & place to air my views on this current trend (if it is an increasing trend) of requests for
sheet music transcriptions on the General Discussions page.

This particular post seems to be trending in a direction which I cannot help but wonder if our collective efforts are ultimately to provide a valuable resource for a thriving community interested in learning and sharing
(mostly, though not exclusively, traditional Irish music) or merely a stockpile of data to be easily
tapped/exploited by anyone and everyone.

Worthington Lewallen, I will assume your request is in good faith. Having said this; could you explain
why you did not first look for the sheet music directly from Chris Thile?

That aside. Also the fact the original video shouldn’t be difficult to transcribe from a
fretted, mandolin fingerboard to violin. Here is what I found (in a few seconds) searching for
"Ode to a Butterfly" on Mandolin Cafe.
Complete w/video, tablature and abcs. ~
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?discussionid=318&do=discuss

I cannot comment on the abc transcription. But you can see the sheet music
by pasting it into this abc converter;
http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

Posted by .

The ABC is accurate enough (I just has a quick look while listening to the section in the clip).

What do we owe you, Jim?
;-)

Posted by .

I was going to suggest a recording of the tune in 4/4 and then one in 2/2 for comparison. ;)

Ah well if you take 97/15 divide by 4/4 and subtract 2/2 you get Dazed and confused . Which funnily enough was in a bunch of odd time sigs, but thats another story for another day and another site too no doubt, well unless it could be covered by a trad band …. Which actually isn’t such a wierd idea compared to robin Williams covering ace of spades on the Scottish harp ! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WBveikgKY

Truly fantastic !

Thanks Will, started off just plain laughing, but then thought how good it sounds that way. RIP Ian Kilminster.

BTW for the original poster, in a desktop browser the little gearwheel icon in YouTube videos also has a setting to reduce the speed to 0.5, which gives you a chance to learn it by ear. There’s no reason to be asking people to transcribe stuff!

…agreed … but to be fair, ‘Ode to a Butterfly’ isn’t simple diddly music at all.

It would take a fair bit of time and repeated listening, even at half speed, to learn by ear.

And lots more time to actually learn to play it from the sheet music :)

Anyway, Mr Worthington extends a heartfelt thanks to Mr Sid, Mr AB, Mr Jeff and Mr Jim.

"It would take a fair bit of time and repeated listening, even at half speed, to learn by ear. "

Agreed, Jim.

Speaking of not simple diddly music, could I get a transcription of this lovely piece of music?

~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcjb9nRGdGg

Doesn’t need to be all three parts, though that would save me alot of time. :-D

Posted by .