… & now for something completely different!

… & now for something completely different!

"Flanagan Brothers "On The Road To The Fair" & "The Leitrim Trush" Irish Columbia disc (Jew’s harp)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yTKuTHRenw

Now it just so happens that my first instrument was a Jews Harp, so I was very interested to hear this, but since those far off days, I’ve moved on to slightly more melodic beasties, but there’s no denying the great rhythm folks are able to produce playing these simple little instruments & they don’t come much cheaper. Never can understand anyone trying to play one at a large session, but they can sound great when played into a Mic. although I’ll never forget the time I was playing a solo spot with a Jews harp, in a Folk club in Aberdeen, when the darn thing snapped … from loud Boingy Boingy to - Silence! :-D

It goes without saying that accompaniment has moved on just a little, since this recording, but there is something rather charming in this more innocent sound, don’t you think. Perhaps it’s the lack of ye olde funky syncopation which is so clearly missing from this recording, but which is such a part of the music today. Tastefully added, of course, a touch of funky rhythm adds something, but so often it is just overdone these days, sometimes to the point of nausea, I find. This is particularly true I find, of so many of the wee makee-upee tunes that appear on new CDs, especially in Scottish Music. If I’m honest, I think I actually prefer this simple style of guitar backing, to many of those playing today, who often sound to me like frustrated R&R thrashers, but that’s just me. No doubt others will disagree … ;-)

Of course, there’s no going back, but thank goodness we have old recordings like this to go back to. :-)

By the way, for those of you who are not big fans of the Jews Harp, fear not, because at around 3:15, they launch into some great Flanagan Brothers music on Accordeon & Banjo.

Cheers,
Dick

Re: … & now for something completely different!

I very much like the guitar playing because of its lack of funky strummyness. Simple, accurate and clean.

And I very much like the Jew’s harp playing!

Good to know I’m not alone, Sanjay. :-)

Dick, I find myself agreeing with everything in your post. but I think the youth must have it’s fling as well. Time will sort out what becomes part of the tradition I guess. BTW great to see you back posting, I love your youtube contributions, and I’m particularly jealous of that lovely Sobel mandolin ! ;-)

Even if it’s a - Highland "Fling". ;-)

Aye, the Sobell Mandolin is a thing of beauty, that’s for sure.

That’s a nice one Dick! I love listening to the old stuff.
My daughter worked at one of our local (American) Civil War battlefield sites. She told me one of the archaeologist had said that they had found many old frames while digging in the old campsites. Supposedly Abraham Lincoln liked to play.

That’s great! A nice innocent quality as you say.
T

Absolutely delightful. Sounds a lot like New England Contra Dance music. The guitar backing is accomplished and carefully worked out. But that takes effort, and dare I say it … taste.

The Jews Harp was a popular instrument and played by many people when I was growing up in the 1940’s in the Irish midlands. It was mostly referred to as a Jaws Harp or a Trump. The first time I found out it was called a Jews Harp was when I saw it in a music shop window with Jews Harp written on it the box. Interesting to see the spelling of the Leitrim Trush on the old 78 record. A Thrush would have being called a Trush in the mid to southern counties of Ireland because of the lack of using the Th. As my old teacher use to say ’ You have to pronounce your Th, and if I told you dat once I told you a tousand times’ …………..

Love this! Thanks for sharing; the old pictures are just wonderful. :)