Tom Buchanan’s Scottish Tome version 0.9

Tom Buchanan’s Scottish Tome version 0.9

Almost there…
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/Scottish_Tome/Tom_Buchanan’s_Scottish_Tome.html

If you want to get an idea of some of the problems with converting hand-written to abc notation, take a look at "0156. Lovat Scouts, The" and click on the "scan" or do likewise with "0823. Gardeby Ganglat".

I will add an introduction page after I’ve gathered my wits back together. This is very primitive code for a web page but it should suffice for this purpose. Especially since I’m completely clueless as to how to do it better and/or more esthetically pleasing and much, much worse, I don’t really care at this point. I need to go back to leaning and practicing tunes.

I surely hope that Tom Buchanan, whomever and wherever he is, has no objection to his name on the project.

Re: Tom Buchanan’s Scottish Tome version 0.9

Well done! And much thanks for all the work! Already proving a very useful resource on my first dive in.

Jim

I’ve received (and fixed) the first error someone has spotted (hats off to CreadurMawnOrganig).

It’s looking really good, nice work.

I hate to pile on, but tune #1 (MacPherson’s Rant) has an error in bar 7 and 15. The scan shows the second beat in both as sixteenth sixteenth eighth, but you’ve got it reversed in bar 7 (8 16 16) and three eighths in bar 15. The scans are a bit hard to read, so I’m going by thickness of the beam for those!

Posted by .

Here’s my take on the first scan.

X:515
T:MacPherson’s Rant
M:2/4
L:1/8
K:G
GD BA/G/|A/G/A/B/ AD/E/|GD BA/G/|E2 ED/E/|
GD BA/G/|A/G/A/B/ AG/E/|GB A/G/E|D2 DB/c/|
dB c/B/A/G/|BA AB/c/|dB AG|E2 EB/c/|
dB c/B/A/G/|BA AB|GB A/G/E|D2 D:|

Cheers!

Posted by .

Thanks guys. In the separate files, those are fixed. The abc files for entire sections will get updated at a slower rate.
Fixed:
001.1 MacPherson’s Rant
485.0 Gardeby Ganlat

Incredible 1100 tunes !!!

1102 tunes. 10 months with two of us reducing the hand-written scores to abc notation. More than 90% of the tunes are unique settings in regards to what is on the internet. It isn’t done yet either, the errors feedback from the forum members here on thesession.org will hopefully catch nearly everything sooner rather than later.

@Nico: Exactly the same type of error that I spotted. As I said to callison in my message to him, this must be the most common type of copying error where Scottish tune collections are concerned, since dotted + semi- (and semi- + dotted) groupings are so abundant in Scottish music.

That’s what I get for automating the page generation with a script. I’ll go through and start checking those. Of course, the random sampling I did last night before posting the whole shebang was a different set of random choices. That worked. Natch. Feckin’ Murphy’s Law.

That’s the best bit about automation, it allows you to repeat your mistakes with very little effort before you notice ;) now unpicking them :/

This case was the "#" symbol which translates to "%23" in html (I learn a little every day. Very little…). I bulk changed all of the links with that symbol and hopefully, I caught them all. Correctly. Har har. There are few diacritical marks in the tune names because unix type text processing chokes to death on them so I filtered them out. At some point - by hand - they’ll have to go back in. Gardeby Ganglat or Gärdeby Gånglåt wound up with the "Gärdeby Gånglåt" part as a comment in a "C:" field rather than deal with it directly. For simplicities sake, that’s probably how I’ll handle the others as well. Then there’s the problem with O’ and o’ in Irish names and when and where they get capitalized or spaced away from the following word. I’ll probably start another thread on the session and see where that goes. Hither, thither and yon most probably.

Great work, callison! You may want to check "0823. Gardeby Ganglat" or "Gärdebylåten" as it is commonly known in Sweden, against the most played version here:
http://www.folkwiki.se/Musik/G%C3%A4rdebyl%C3%A5ten
or the shorter url:
http://tinyurl.com/zatq5yz
There you will find abc and pdf files as well.

The tune type is "Gånglåt", "Walking Tune" which is a type of march.
It starts with the pickup F#-G, by the way.

Thanks Bertil. Tom Buchanan has versions of known tunes that vary from very close to quite different. It is for that reason that we went through the effort of doing the conversion to abc notation. Just consider that what he did with his scores constitutes a different setting. We also had a discussion on the session as to what type of tune it is and eventually settled on polka. Moving it to the march section would be a non-trivial task affecting nearly a third of the entire tome for numbering and replacing the already generated files so I’m going to avoid that by leaving it as is.