The Flooded Meadow

The Flooded Meadow

It would be nice if we could get the tune The Flooded Meadow on to the session (the Landward theme tune). Duncan Chisolm Recorded it on his album Affric ( Track Number Five). I couldn’t find it on any sites or in any tune books. Does anyone know any music for it and if so could you please put up some music for it on the session. Thank you.

Re: The Flooded Meadow

Has anyone even heard of the flooded meadow and even if they haven’t got the music for it can you just tell me you know what tune it is I am talking about .

Hi Jamie - you have to remember here that you are asking a largely Irish musical community about a tune composed by a Scottish fiddle player, and that perhaps a minority of them are familiar with Duncan’s music and recordings, although he is certainly very highly respected by the many Irish musicians have recorded his compositions over the past few years.

I can maybe help you here with information about "The Flooded Meadow". Duncan produced a CD called "Live At Celtic Connections" in 2013, which included "The Flooded Meadow". Here’s what the sleeve notes say :

"At the end of the 19th century, my great-grandfather and great-grandmother were living at a place called Athnamullach in Glen Affric. This was a solitary cottage 8 miles west of Affric Lodge, which was the nearest habitation to where they were. They brought up 3 children there, my grandfather Duncan, and his brother and sister, John and Jessie. One winter there was a deep snow, followed by a very quick thaw, and the River Affric broke its’ banks and flooded over the meadow, they were completely marooned in the house. My great-grandmother used to say she would look out the window at night, see the moonlight reflected in the flooded water around the house and think how frightening it was but how beautiful also. It inspired me to write "The Flooded Meadow".

I’ve just had a listen to it, and it’s in one of those unusual time signatures which Duncan is very fond of, but I can’t help you with transcribing this one - maybe someone else will. Great playing by all involved, including, especially, Jarlath Henderson.
If you don’t have the CD, please consider buying it.
All the best, Kenny

Posted by .

If you have the recording what do you need the dots for ? Keep playing along and eventually you will get it, it might take 100 or 1000 times through but if you want it bad enough then you will do what it takes…..

Agree with Will.

Posted by .

Careful Will …..you’re starting to sound like llig !

It was intentional dan 😉 Somebody has to say it though !

Doesn’t sound right without ‘numpties’.