ABC notation reader for Ubuntu (Linux)

ABC notation reader for Ubuntu (Linux)

Hi lads,
I’m new on UbuntuMATE and I’m searching for something like "EasyABC" to read and listen tunes in ABC notation. I’m a linux-beginner so I’d like something easy to install!

Posted by .

Re: ABC notation reader for Ubuntu (Linux)

You could try EasyABC. It runs on Linux ;)

I run Linux as well and to be honest I’m very comfortable working with a text editor, the command line, and abcm2ps, ps2pdf, and a pdf viewer. I find it a very quick and easy workflow once you get the hang of it.

I use a program called Geany to do my editing in - it’s designed for programmers so it has a built in terminal and you can set up useful bits and pieces with it.

Posted by .

i like musescore, you can install from ubuntu repository and it allows you to import abc, you can see and hear score and print out. it is not difficult to learn to use and useful if you start to transcibe tunes.

+1 for Musescore
Very powerful
You can use it on every computer (Linux, windows, Mac)
You can inport .mid .ABC… and export .pdf .gif .mp3…, tabs
And it’s FREE : https://musescore.org/en
I use it every day (ver 2.0.2), beware of ver 2.0.3, abc plugin seems not to work.

You can too install Abcnavigator (windows) under Linux with "Wine" :
http://abcnavigator.free.fr/abcnvgt.php?lang=eng
Works fine but it’s a very old software (15 years?)

No need to go online for this — as @Calum said, EasyABC works just fine on Linux. :~) Once you have the dependencies installed (as specified in the readme), you should be able to run `easy_abc.py` like any other application (you might have to mark it executable though).

If it doesn’t start for some reason, try running it from the console like (in your easyabc directory)

python ./easy_abc.py

and post the output here, or better with a pastebin link if it’s longish.

Alternatively, there’s a .deb package available here (https://sourceforge.net/projects/abcplus/files/EasyABC/easyabc_1.3.7.5-2_all.deb); this should work on Ubuntu as well, but I haven’t tried it. Anyway this will solve the dependencies for you and (probably) create a link in your application menu. If this *also* fails, you should at least be able to execute it globally from the console then by just running `easyabc` anywhere. You’ll then get an output similar to the above which you might again post here.

Of course, an online solution like the one on mandolintab.net will always work everywhere as long as you have a browser.

PS: You could also run any old windows setup.exe (from ABCExplorer, say) using wine (https://www.winehq.org/); for a convenient GUI check out q4wine (https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/quantal/q4wine/). With a modest application like an ABC editor there shouldn’t occur any problems really… however, as you might guess it does produce quite a bit of overhead.

A very "Linux" reply StM! ;-)

Hi lads, thanks everyone.
I’ve installed Musescore but I can’t import ABC even if I’ve selected it on the plugins manager.
Is there another way to install this plug in? Musescore seems to be a great program.

Posted by .

The ABC plugin sends it off to a server somewhere to be processed into Muse-soup. Is your internet connection on this machine OK?

Posted by .

Yeah, internet connection is ok, don’t know where’s the problem :/

Posted by .

The answer is probably here:
https://musescore.org/en/handbook/plugins

but remember my last post : "I use it every day (ver 2.0.2), beware of ver 2.0.3, abc plugin seems not to work".

If you want to import a tune from TheSession in Musescore, just use the midi file version available to download.

As calum said, abcm2ps will convert an ABC-notation text file into postscript, and ps2pdf will convert the postscript file into a pdf file, and then you can use whatever pdf file viewer you wish to use. (just open it with your browser, your browser probably has something configured for that).

I wrote a script that can handle the details for you, it is just a wrapper for abcm2ps and ps2pdf that do the real work. It’s called abc2pdf

To fetch it, do
git clone https://gitlab.com/jkacur/abcutils.git
Then to install it do
cd abcutils
su -c ‘make install’
or to install locally without needing to be root
make DESTDIR=${HOME} prefix="" install

Cheers!

I know this is an old thread but, has ANYBODY actually succeeded at installing and running EasyABC in Linux? I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I got the .DEB package installed, and all python components (python-wxgtk*, python-wxgtk-media*, python-pygame, and python-pyparsing), and the other ABC components (abcm2ps, abc2midi, abc2abc, but apt-get could not locate any abc2pdf) one by one very carefully. On attempting to run it, I get an error message "Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined." I have been Googling this all day and coming up emtpy - seems lots and lots of people get that error with all kinds of circumstances, and nobody has provided an answer, except that the SESSION_MANAGER environment variable SHOULD be set when a user logs into the GUI (I am using XFCE).

I know this is an old thread but, has ANYBODY actually succeeded at installing and running EasyABC in Linux? I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I got the .DEB package installed, and all python components (python-wxgtk*, python-wxgtk-media*, python-pygame, and python-pyparsing), and the other ABC components (abcm2ps, abc2midi, abc2abc, but apt-get could not locate any abc2pdf) one by one very carefully. On attempting to run it, I get an error message "Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined." I have been Googling this all day and coming up emtpy - seems lots and lots of people get that error with all kinds of circumstances, and nobody has provided an answer, except that the SESSION_MANAGER environment variable SHOULD be set when a user logs into the GUI (I am using XFCE).

I just installed musescore-git instead of EasyABC on Arch Linux from the AUR.

I am still looking for ANYBODY to step up and say that he or she actually successfully installed EasyABC in Ubuntu. I have Musescore, and use it, but I don’t want to import ABC files, I want to interactively edit ABC files in Linux the way I used to do on my Mac (I can still use the Mac of course, but I now run Ubuntu for darn near everything else, and the Mac version is now pretty long in the tooth).