Useful site for new fiddlers/teachers

Useful site for new fiddlers/teachers

Came across this while Googling for something else entirely - some nice handy stuff.

http://stringskills.com/

Rants along the lines "you should just learn by listening" are very likely to be ignored :p

Posted by .

Re: Useful site for new fiddlers/teachers

Wow. Perhaps this site should be renamed ‘simple things made incredibly complex’!

Twinkle Twinkle in Dorian and Lochrian; Yankee Doodle shifting between three keys including Bb; simple folk tunes rewritten in deliberately illogical timing to keep students on their toes. This kind of thing is the reason I was too afraid to take a music lesson until I was in my thirties!

Interesting as an intellectual exercise and for more advanced students but I don’t think it’s a very approachable resource for genuinely new fiddlers!

Good find, Calum!

Very comprehensive and useful.

I think "ghost bowing" and "chopping" are missing from the crucial bowing section :)

I’ve committed to taking classical lessons for 1 year to improve technique and intonation and you would be surprised at the fiddle tunes I see that are rewritten for classical arrangements. They take something simple that makes sense and use bowings and added/changed or "rearranged" notes that make it much harder and destroy the flow of the tune sometimes.

As a 70+ year old who has been playing for all of his life and only just now getting serious about learning sight-reading as a skill, I find this incredibly useful. As bobmarlec mentions the rhythm part has already made things a bit more clear. Thanks for bringing this to me.

> I don’t think it’s a very approachable resource for genuinely new fiddlers!

It’s aimed at people being schooled in the classical tradition in the early years of their education.

Yes, it’s a bit overwhelming, but if you know what the words mean, it can’t be that bad. And you’re learning most effectively when you’re playing something at the limits of your competence.

Posted by .

[*…and you would be surprised at the fiddle tunes I see that are rewritten for classical arrangements. They take something simple that makes sense and use bowings and added/changed or "rearranged" notes that make it much harder and destroy the flow of the tune sometimes.*]

I totally agree. Some of the arrangements are really poor, and often labelled ‘folk’. It’s typical of arrangers who can play / transcribe their own choice of music well, but have nothing more than a vague understanding of other genres. To be fair, it happens the other way round too :)