Logo

Logo

Hi, my name’s Hayley, I have been reading discussions for a while but this is the first time I’ve posted anything. Thanks by the way, I’ve learnt a lot from this site. Was just looking at the t-shirts and noticed for the first time that the logo for the Cambridge University Ceilidh Band - of which I am proud to be a member ( http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cucb/) is almost identical to the Session logo (except a bit fatter). Wow.

I’m in charge of getting hoodies designed made for the band. But don’t worry, they’ll look quite different. we have all sorts of fantabulous ideas… hehehe

Re: Logo

Hello Hayley.

Welcome to The Session, Hayley, and welcome out of lurkhood. We’ll look forward to seeing more from you!

The knotwork that Jeremy uses for The Session is quite common in “Celtic” artwork, speaking historically. The tri-cornered knotwork stands for the triune nature of things, gods, etc., so the theory goes. So you see it around quite a bit.

Hello & welcome, Hayley. BTW - and i posted this on my thread “3 Things” - but it’s off the “front page” now thus no-one will see it, so here goes again:
I just ordered my the session T-shirt and I got it done in gold. Not to everyone’s taste but then I’m hardly noted for my sartorial elegance.

Why did Jeremy use a logo that appears nowhere on this site. That’s why I tried to design something relevant to the actual website. My design sucked obviously because no one said word one about my efforts – so what do I know?

Well Jack, I did think your logo was monumentally unaesthetic! The brown button bars do not instantly advertise to the world anything other than a stack of bars. I reckon the simple 3 element celtic knot expresses neatly in a quick eyeful the fact that the T-shirt pertains to something Irish. Celtic knots and ITM have at least 2 things in common: 1. simplicity balanced with complexity, and 2. the end returning you nicely to the beginning.
Sorry, you did sort of ask.

Oh and while we’re about it, hallo Hayley. Isn’t the traffic bad in Cambridge?

I’m into the whole Celtic knotwork thing actually, and I use it myself – but don’t you think it gets over used slightly? After all, that particular one Jeremy used shows up as a logo in an American TV show about three girls who discover they’re witches. And I’ve seen it numerous other places as well. (As mentioned above) I realize my design wasn’t very aesthetically interesting, but neither is this site really – but I tried to make it relevant to it anyway. Don’t get me wrong, I like the knotwork thing, like I said, but doesn’t the T-shirt design have a bit of a corporate look going on? Or maybe a Star Trek sort of thing? If I had more time I might have come up with a graphic with lots of people playing tunes to go under the “session” bar across the top of my design – you know, different images fading in and out of each other in a collage sort of thing. To represent how we’ve sort of come together in cyberspace for a tune.

(disclaimer) I’m not trying to stir anything up… just throwing out ideas. It’s a result of my creative past working in Ad Agencies.

Mmm. No. I like it. It’s simple and streamlined. Classic, but not plain. Not too overdone. Doesn’t get into the whole “Celticky” thing anymore than it has to. No nonsense. Doesn’t fuss.

I don’t know, looks kind of plain to me. ITM is so much fun (I think), and the logo doesn’t say anything about that. It still looks a lot like a corporate company shirt, like it should say “The Session Inc.” Where’s the craic? (Devil’s advocate here)

Nah. I’m not into fussy, myself. If it’s plain, then I guess I’m into plain. (Granted, you’re talking to a maker of Irish stepdancing dresses, so perhaps I’m just sick of the surfeit of glitz and overdecoration.) The craic is between the people, in my view. Not what they wear.

It’s good in my view. Understated. Only those in the know will recognise another afficionado when they see someone wearing that t-shirt. I may have intimated before, I’m not greatly into verbal (or other) evangelising This Stuff. I’d rather let it speak for itself. The simple t-shirt design gives you a hint and no more. Also there are many people who are not into our thing, who wouldn’t want it rammed down their throats. So the way it is, that’s good by me.

I like it too. The whole “corporate” thing (as you call it Jack) appeals because the design of the yellaboard itself is plain and unfussy, and many of us browse its pages when we’re working in offices, so the more understated it looks the better. As for the celtic knot thing, it appears on my favourites thing, but not on the actual pages. I still think Jeremy should put it up there somewhere, maybe in the corner. I was going to say there could be a moving thing that whizzes round, following the shape of the knot…. but no, maybe that would be a bit much 🙂

Poor Jeremy can’t please everyone can he? There’s always gonna be some whingey anglo player who doesn’t like it, whatever he does 😉

I have to agree with Jack. The logo is rather dull & uninspired.

One of the other Ceilidh Band members redesigned the logo with a heart entwined in it. We are probably going to use that on the hoodies and it looks lovely. Yeah, it would be good to have it on the site somewhere - that’s probably why I didn’t notice before.

I don’t drive so don’t notice the traffic! But there’s good busking money to be made!

I meant to say this earlier but T shirt logo is almost identical to DEFRA (Dept of Environment Food and Rural Affairs UK)
This is not a very cool organisation from a lot of standpoints.

But on the other hand TheSession.org is an ultra-cool organisation from just about every standpoint.
Trevor