Tony Dixon Solid Polymer Low D…a curiosity

Tony Dixon Solid Polymer Low D…a curiosity

So, I ordered the Kerry Optima tunable Low D from their own website. Apparently, someone posted a used one on eBay’s US site…for $240.00. It costs half that for a new one from the actual website. But that listing had the item pictured next to a measuring tape, and it falls within the acceptable range for me, so I was convinced. I hope it doesn’t take too long for it to arrive. I am the impatient type. I guess those are made to order?

In any case, during my research efforts, I ran across the Tony Dixon Solid Polymer low D, which is carved out of a block rather than injection-molded, and comes in three pieces with cork joins. I’m curious about whether anyone has tried this one, and what it’s like? I still might eventually get the less expensive tunable polymer low D Dixon just to compare to the Kerry. In addition, I may get a polymer G and a brass trad A to have some variety. There are too many different opinions and preferences out there, so I just have to have a starting point.

But I’d love to just know how those 3 piece polymer low D whistles play.

Posted by .

Re: Tony Dixon Solid Polymer Low D…a curiosity

I would be interested too.
I just looked over Tony’s site and he has a variety of Low D’s.
Seems like the one you’re talking about is more or less his 3-section poly flute, but with a whistle head.

Hi there!

Tony’s whistles have a smooth sound and cross octaves with ease. I find them very playable and portable and have a range of them that I have acquired over time. The newer ones have a much better sound. The only downfall I would say is that they are quite quiet in the lower octave - but I think that means they have a smoother quality to the sound with higher notes.

That 3-section Irish-flute-with-whistle-head would, I imagine, have rather thicker walls than his 2-piece conical Low D, which I have, and which has thin walls akin to the wall-thickness of metal tubing Low D’s. This would change its playing characteristics quite a bit, I would think. I’d love to hear from people who own both, who can comment on the differences.