New app for Android phones/tablets (with online interface)

New app for Android phones/tablets (with online interface)

Hi folks!

TL;DR: Android app for folkies, web interface, active developer, app name is a musical pun, cost of buying me a pint (depending where you live/what the exchange rate is today): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suchideas.android.alamode

Longer version: A couple of years ago I made a simple Android app for myself to keep track of tunes and things. Despite being a hobby project, it’s grown a bit, with even a beta version of a web-based interface so you can get at your collection from any PC. Anyway, some friends nudged me to release it so they could use it, so I scrubbed it up a bit and I’ve now released it from beta. πŸ™‚

It’s not perfect, but I use it heavily and am very happy to try and add features/fix any issues which come up. (Drop me an e-mail via the address in the app store. It’s really nice to hear from people.) Thanks to help from Jeremy, you can import your tunebook from this site, and continue to search it etc. for tunes to add.

Use cases:
- Not forgetting all those damn tunes you know
- Handy for jotting down notes and a recording in a session and being able to find it later
- I find it encourages me to sit down more spontaneously, grab my phone and practice a tune
- Useful for quickly reminding yourself of a tune you want to start but whose first bar/B-part you forgot
- Can find another Fm strathspey from your extensive collection to round off that set you were trying to think up
- Can use on a tablet instead of sheet music for sets
- Pretty colours

Cheers,
Carl

Re: New app for Android phones/tablets (with online interface)

Terrific App. Thanks!

Posted by .

I’ve just purchased the app and had a quick mess around with it. It’s incredible! Great work, and thanks Carl.

Thanks guys, I’m really glad you like it! Do let me know if I can do anything to improve it. (There’s a long to-do list already, but I’m happy to make it longer or bump things up it.)

(By the way, if either of you feel like leaving a rating on the Play store it’d be much appreciated, you know, pour encourager les autres…)

Just downloaded the app. Excellent job! Only a beginner so the play option per tune is brilliant to identify the tune. Love the link to The Session personal tunebook, a really nice feature. Left a 5 star rating. Gone are the days of jumping from printed ABC to mp3. Well done Carl!
cheers,
Liam

Posted by .

Hi Carl, looks great.

I’ve used a similar app in the past, called Tradmusician. It also connects my tunebook in The Session.
Can you tell me the differences?

Posted by .

How is it different from Tunepal? I’m computer ignorant and not baiting or critiquing.
Thanks….

Posted by .

Posted by .

Sorry. Mistyped and can’t remove posts. So I just left them blank.

Posted by .

Toon & David: No problem! Thanks for asking. Time to get my market research hat on…

I think these are some differences (correct me if I’m wrong!)
- Web version - you can view everything in the app on any online device (eg. PC) even without your Android device, just visiting a website and logging into Google; I’ll also be adding editing capabilities too
- More organisationally oriented - allowing you to tag tunes with your own tags, organise them into tunebooks with overlap, search by tags, ratings, etc.
- Sync all your library and tags between Android devices
- Create, store, edit, tag, view and export sets
- Sensibly store multiple versions (variants) of one tune under one entry, and click between them quickly
- Good batch import for large ABC collections (detects variants of tunes you already have for example, allows you to import them, ignore them, import them and mark them as variants, …)
- Special devoted keyboard for inputting ABC
- PDF export of tunes and sets
- Store notes and recordings in the app, and view and listen to these on your computer using the web app
- Really colourful
- Works on my phone… (Tunepal crashes on open)

Typed this off the top of my head in a seminar, so sincere apologies for any mistakes!

I would like to use the app to practice providing accompaniment. Would you be able to add an option to mute the MIDI accompaniment? Thanks.

Tim: Definitely! Hopefully tonight/tomorrow I’ll write up a little extended dialog for playback control for things like tempo and accompaniment. I’ve been meaning to do that anyway (to allow changing what MIDI voices the parts play back with and such).

any chance for an Iphone version?

thanks!

Sunnybear: My understanding is that it costs a small fortune to have an iThing dev account, and I also don’t have access to any iThings, so probably not I’m afraid :( Friends keep asking for it…

What is true is that when I make a fully functional web app that will work on any devices including iPhones, but obviously it wouldn’t be as nice as a native app.

Yeah…oh well. Thank you for your efforts. The app looks like it would be very helpful.

Thanks Carl, for your overview and comparison.
I will definitively give it a try.

Posted by .

Tim: I just uploaded version 1.0.4, which should arrive with you soon! It has a whole bunch of new playback options available from the widget that appears when you hit play/from the main settings menu.

Sorry for being a bit slow with this, job applications…

Toon: No worries πŸ™‚

Cheers,
Carl

That’s excellent, thanks Carl. I hope your app is getting the attention that it deserves, and that your job applications have been a hit! If I might be cheeky and suggest one other possible addition - is there any way of setting the tunes to repeat? I’m currently having to push ‘play’ over and over.

Sure, I’ll get right on that!

By the way, sorry to anyone who’s imported their thesession.org tunebooks recently and got loads of bloated entries which have several versions of a tune run together. Jeremy removed the T: fields breaking up the downloaded tunebooks (see https://thesession.org/discussions/39644 for the background) and I didn’t know. I’m working on a fix right now πŸ™‚

Tim: v1.0.8 should now be winging its way to you, with support for repeating* (and some more robust treatment of tunebook imports from thesession.org, hopefully fixing the issues arising from the knock-on effects of the above, plus some other tweaks requested by other users).

Do keep ‘em coming, and I’ll try and get ‘em implemented as soon as I can find the time! πŸ™‚

* By default now everything repeats until you hit stop; you can switch the default behaviour using the playback settings dialog any time. There is a slight gap on repeats (~ an extra beat roughly), but despite battling with Android for an hour or so I couldn’t get it to go away, so I might have to come back to that another time. Sorry about that!

Looks like an old discussion … just downloaded and I wish I’d found this sooner. Surprised more people aren’t using this app. Really nice job on lots of fronts.

Ever consider making it open source and expanding the developer base?