“Planxty” - new release, tomorrow….

“Planxty” - new release, tomorrow….

According to a post on the "Mudcat Cafe" website, plus I heard this from a friend in Denmark [ thanks, Mich ] :

"A Planxty collection, "Between The Jigs & The Reels" - A Retrospective CD/DVD will be released tomorrow, October 28, 2016. Compiled and chosen by the band, it comes with a DVD featuring over two hours of previously unreleased performances from the RTÉ Archives".

No new material then, but still, it’s "Planxty"………………………., and Christmas is coming up :)

Posted by .

Re: “Planxty” - new release, tomorrow….

It’d be nice if the lads got a few pound for it but they won’t… Phil Coulter…what a bollocks.

What about Phil Coulter?

https://andyirvinenews.com/2016/10/05/planxty-compile-new-retrospective/

Track Listings
CD (Studio)
1. True Love Knows No Season (Billy Gray)
2. Pat Reilly
3. Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór
4. Follow Me Up To Carlow
5. Baneasa’s Green Glade / Mominsko Horo
6. The Aconry Lasses / The Old Wheels Of The World / The Spike Island Lasses
7. The Pursuit Of Farmer Michael Hayes
8. Accidentals / Aragon Mill
9. The Irish Marche
10. The Rambling Siúler
11. The Well Below The Valley
12. Junior Crehan’s Favourite / Corney Is Coming (Reels)
13. Roger O’Hehir
14. Smeceno Horo
15. The West Coast Of Clare
16. Nancy Spain
17. Timedance

DVD (Live)
1. The Blacksmith / Blacksmithereens
2. Three Drunken Maidens / The Foxhunter’s Reel
3. When First Unto This Country
4. Sweet Thames Flow Softly
5. The Gold Ring (Jig)
6. Hey! Sandy
7. Kitty Gone A Milking / Music Of The Forge (Reels)
8. Only Our Rivers Run Free
9. Raggle Taggle Gypsy / Tabhair Dom Do Lámh
10. Three Drunken Maidens / The Foxhunter’s Reel (Reprise)
11. The Good Ship Kangaroo
12. Ride A Mile / Hardiman The Fiddler / The Yellow Wattle (Jigs)
13. The Hackler From Grouse Hall
14. An Bonnán Buí / The West Wind (Reel)
15. The Jolly Beggar
16. Sally Brown
17. Bean Pháidín / Rakish Paddy
18. Little Musgrave
19. East At Glendart / Brian O’Lynn / Pay The Reckoning (Double Jigs)
20. The Lady On The Island / The Gatehouse Maid / The Virginia / Callaghan’s (Reels)
21. As I Roved Out
22. Smeceno Horo
23. Johnny Of Brady’s Lea
24. The Pullet / The Ladies’ Pantalettes (Reels)
25. I Pity The Poor Immigrant
26. Arthur McBride
27. True Love Knows No Season (Billy Gray)
28. Timedance
29. You Rambling Boys Of Pleasure
30. The Good Ship Kangaroo
31. Táimse Im’ Chodladh
32. Thousands Are Sailing
33. The Queen Of The Rushes / Paddy Fahy’s (Jigs)
34. Little Musgrave
35. The Scholar / The Chattering Magpie / Lord McDonald’s / The Virginia / Callaghan’s (Reels)
36. The Cliffs Of Dooneen

Yes but I would presume that the Band will profit from the Live Recordings on the DVD as these would not be owned by Phil Coulter or Seanchai records.

All 4 of the band members themselves were directly involved in putting this release together so I’m sure they would not be doing this if it was going to benefit some one else.

I certainly hope so… Jaysus I came into this thread after a few jars last night and was just bitter all over the place. Sorry for shite-ing in the porridge boys. Back to the good times :)

@ Eimead: LOL, Jars and t’internet don’t mix! I’ve been hauled over the coals before now by Jeremy for injudicious posting! Let’s hope he doesn’t descend on you from a great height!
Lots of the tunes (and songs) that are floating around in my head all can be traced back to Planxty. I lived in Dublin in the early seventies, but I was a young Chef, living in that twilight zone inhabitated by cooks, chefs, nurses, evil clowns etc., and I never got to a concert anywhere! I was second chef in a hotel on the South side, my wife Kate was Night Manageress in Jonathan’s Restaurant on Grafton Street, possibly where Captain America’s is now located. We were off together every second Sunday (used to leave notes for each other in our flat in Rathfarnham) and when we had time off together we headed for Maher’s on Moore Street, Slattery’s on Capel Street and O’Donoghue’s on Merrion Row, where the Dubliners lived, to suck up the crack (craic? nasty made-up word!) and listen the happy sounds. When we had a rare full day off together, we went out to Dalkey, down to Bulloch Harbour, hired a motor boat, and went fishing in Dalkey Sound/Dublin Bay. The only sight-seeing we did was a guided tour around Dublin Castle and a bus tour to Glendalough one Good Friday. Never did get to go sight seeing in Dublin until about 2 years ago. I’m a pensioner now, so I have an All Ireland free travel pass.
I hadn’t heard about Planxty’s retrospective album until today, but I thought to meself, "Have to get that!" so I looked it up on Google and ended up on Amazon, down amongst the "X no. from other dealers" link and my copy is ordered up, should be here next week, for £10.19
Also coming, a stylus for my record deck, sitting under my desktop, neglected for years, @ £8.70
Why buy a stylus? I have both albums recorded in Mark’s Bar, Dundalk in the 60s. On the first "Fleadh Night in Mark’s Bar" there is a march called "Jackets Green" which isn’t anywhere to be found online. Before anyone starts putting up posts to "Jackets Green" in the tunes section here, that’s not it. The tune on here is "McAlpines Fusiliers" As I said, not to be found online, so I’m resurrecting my vinyl collection for the sake of learning one tune. It’ll be nice to hear Kate’s albums of Charlie Parker and all that stuff too.
Alex.

This is very interesting! I’m going to buy it for sure.

Awesome to have videos of these iconic tracks. For me the best part will be seeing my "heroes" Matt and Liam in action.

I like Alexanders comment re ‘craic’.

Received my copy last week, and fans will not be disappointed; some great stuff here.

My only (minor) complaint is that the DVD, although advertised as "region free", will not play in my U.S. Blu-ray player. It will however play in my windows 7 PC.

Classic stuff - no home should be without one. Great to have the live performances on DVD, although Richard D Cook might be a bit disappointed like myself in that Matt Molloy doesn’t appear in any of the concerts [ unless I missed him - I haven’t watched all of the clips yet ]. I think we might use the CD as the basis for our own "Planxty Retrospective" programme on our radio programme next week - watch this space. Any requests ?

Posted by .

Yup - my DVD is scrambled on a new-ish but not Blu-Ray region 1 player. Plays on Windows, and ripped, the .VOB files look fine too, but gee, would rather watch it on my big TV. Very disappointed. :(

The DVD I got says it’s encoded as region 0 , which should be unrestricted for any region.
My PC asked if I wanted to switch, but I didn’t want to mess about as that’s set to region 1 which can be useful. The blue-ray player just played it straight off, but that’s a multi-region one so should play anything.