2016 Election Night Session at The Ould Sod

2016 Election Night Session at The Ould Sod

The local session I co-host here in San Diego, CA is on Tuesday nights, so we’re always at the pub watching the results come in for every election on the many screens in the pub.

So, as in previous years we had an election day session last night. We knew a lot of people were going to stay home, it was quite small, only 3 of us. George on fiddle, Pete on mandolin, I was playing the Uilleann pipes.

The bar was full, so we moved the session to the back room There were about 25 people back there all watching the results come in as we played.

I’d say the vast majority of people in the pub were Clinton supporters. As the night went on and the states went one-by-one for Trump, the mood got more and more somber.

We kept playing tunes. It felt like we were the band playing as the Titanic sank.

At one point, I played a slow air on the pipes.

After that, I couldn’t handle the anxiety any more, was literally getting dizzy from the stress and had to go home.

People thanked us for being there to provide some small amount of joy in the overwhelming darkness that seemed to be descending upon us all.

Life goes on.

We’ll have another session next Tuesday and every Tuesday after that, but I’ll never forget this one.

Re: 2016 Election Night Session at The Ould Sod

What a lovely story Michael, great to know that among all of the sorrow there was at least a tiny bit of happiness last night. 🙂

I attended a local session in Vancouver, BC. And while we couldn’t vote, whatever happens to you guys in the States affects us tremendously as well. Let’s just say I’ve never heard as many minor/mixolydian tunes played in one night as I did last night.

Posted by .

commiserations to y’all in the US, here in Britain we might have the Atlantic as a buffer
but I think we’ll feel the fall out soon enough

I’m still in shock. I don’t have the heart to play music. Setting aside the fiddle for a bit.

I can’t set my music aside. It’s my sanity. I’ll keep on keeping on no matter what.

Never mind ,could have been worse, after all it’s only politics nothing that matters !!

I keep telling people we had the choice between evil and incompetent. I just couldn’t figure out which was which 🙂 Still, the song goes on.

now we have evil and incompetence, the worst of both worlds!

Posted by .

Headline in "The Buchan Observer", in the North-east of Scotland today, apparently :
"Aberdeenshire business owner wins presidential election" [ The potus-elect owns a golf course north of Aberdeen ].
[ A joke, I assume, made in the wake of the apocryphal, but never proven, Titanic story ]

Posted by .

Really wasn’t my intent for this to be a political discussion, if it keeps going that way, it’ll go away.

Reminds me of a session I was at in Chico right after 9/11. Things were still very scary at that point, and in the middle of the session while step dancers were dancing in a very crowded pub, all the power went out in Chico. First thought was that someone had nuked San Francisco. Scary night.

your post is all about a political event.
anyway, the direction a discussion will go is often unpredictable

Posted by .

It seems that the so-called United States of Amerika has failed its national intelligence test rather like the so-called United Kingdom did earlier in the year.

Kenny, what was this particular [maybe apocryphal] Titanic story?

Hi Christy - sorry, I should have explained. When the Titanic sunk, supposedly the headline in Aberdeen’s "Press & Journal" local newspaper the next day was "North-East man lost at sea". I don’t think it’s ever been proven, and am told they won’t let anyone inspect their archives to prove or disprove it. It was seen as indicative of the narrow parochialism of local journalism in the NE of Scotland, which I’d say is still evident today, but that’s only my opinion. I’m fairly certain "The Buchan Observer" were having a wee go at the "P&J", all in good fun [ although it’s a very serious subject, of course ]. Hope that explains things.
To stick to the OP’s thread subject, I don’t think the result of the USA election will figure much in our next session. We tend to leave political opinions at the door, and I think that’s probably for the best.

Posted by .

thanks Kenny, great story. Yes I ‘d heard the Trump Golf Course saga from a friend in Fife - and yes I think
we better just get over it.

In Boston, the joke goes "Hub Man Killed In Atomic Blast; New York Also Destroyed" (Boston is known to many as the Hub of the Universe).

19th Century headline from The Times - "Fog in Channel, Continent Isolated."

Our Thursday night session was uneventful, by which I mean we played a bunch of tunes and enjoyed them all.

Since the subject of the President-elect did come up (tangentially) I do have the following video message for him…
{not that he’ll be listening}
https://vimeo.com/71916056

Posted by .

Good one AB!!! 🙂

True Ben, he has far more important things to do for a while.

Diane, I understand completely about the importance of the things Donald Trump needs to focus on during the transition of power. I did not vote for him though I have the utmost respect for the office of the President of the United States. My intention is not to disrespect his position.

My intention is to express my perspective regarding our personal *differences* from a laundry list of public statements he has made about immigrants, national security, presumed mandates and what I feel is a deliberate divergence from unifying the diversity of the people who live in the same country as Donald & me. In brief, President-elect Trump has more work to do before he earns my personal respect.

Thank you,
Ben

Posted by .