Duncan Chisolm And other Scottish Tunes.

Duncan Chisolm And other Scottish Tunes.

All though Duncan Chisolm is Scottish a Scotsman, I think we should get some more of his tunes on the session.I think we should get some more Scottish music on the session all together.Yes, I know this is an Irish website but we could have some more Scottish tunes on the session .Some good Scottish tunes that I was thinking of are The Beauly( I live quite close to Beauly) and the flooded Meadow.I had done a whole discussion on the Flooded Meadow but it hadn’t got much attention.If anyone Knows either of the 2 tunes could they please add the music as it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Re: Duncan Chisolm And other Scottish Tunes.

Many Scottish and Irish tunes are very similar, often with variations or different names. Mary MacNamara, for instance, includes quite a few on her latest CD ‘The Lady’s Cup of Tea’.

However, young upcoming Scottish fiddler Ryan Young is probably doing the most to revive Old Scottish tunes rather than just play the standards. His first album will be out next year and I expect that it is going to change quite a few opinions about Scottish fiddle tunes

https://www.facebook.com/ryanyoungfiddle/videos/1728840107361158/

http://www.ryanyoung.scot

A lot of Duncan’s compositions are actually fairly simple once you strip away the ornamentation, so you can pick them up quite easily from his recordings (watch out for his de-tuned fiddle though, you might need pitch shifting software if you want to play along).

I’m totally with you in wanting more Scottish music on here, but I’m too lazy and selfish to mess about with ABC and contribute myself.

Thanks for the feed back! Farley bridge is a really nice tune, probably my 3rd favourite tune of all time(That I have heard) and my 2nd favourite Duncan Chisolm tune. My favourite tune is a Donald Riddel tune Called Seoras Beag (Shoras Begg is how it pronounced for those of you that are not to familiar on tradition Scottish names) .Some more good tunes are the Honourable Mrs. Rous and Maggie Cameron.A lot of the Donald Riddel tunes get mistaken for Duncan Chisolm tunes just because Duncan Chisolm plays them so often.

Re: Duncan Chisholm And other Scottish Tunes.

Don’t kid yourselves that you’ll be able to play like him if someone posts the ABC of his tunes here: having been at his concert in Edinburgh at the Scots Fiddle Festival last night, and at his workshop on Slow Air technique this morning, there is a mountain to climb to get anywhere near that. The man is a genius. and he has 2 hs in his surname!)

This is where having a good ear is important, Jamie, and listening too. Being able to play the tunes is not the same thing as being able to play like Duncan or anyone else.

There was a big discussion here a few weeks back about how much detail can be conveyed via "ABC" or even conventional notation but I’d still suggest that it’s nigh impossible to effectively transcribe all the nuances of traditional music on to "the page". Besides, the more creative musicians will seldom play a tune exactly the same way each time in any case.

…You may not want to play exactly like any particular musician, of course, and there’s no real need to do so. Arguably, it’s best to develop your own style.