using the thesession.org tune search engine

using the thesession.org tune search engine

Today I wanted to find the jig "Club Ceili". The search results using the internal tune search engine gave no pertinent answer… I was expecting of course to be oriented towards "The Old Favourite" or "Kilfenora" (https://thesession.org/tunes/56). I tried to search for more results using the general search engine without more success…
However, the title "Club Ceili" appears in the alternate titles’ list.
This behaviour seems not to be systematic as I think to remember searchin other tunes with alternate titles was successfull.
So, do you know how to be sure to find, or not, a tune when you do not know if the title you have is the main name, or just an alternate ?

Re: using the thesession.org tune search engine

There seems to have been an algorithm change this year. I used to be able to search for individual snippets of texts in posts but now the only hits I get are when the search term is in the post or thread title.

I think if searching for tunes your best bet is to use Google search, with the "site:" operator to specify that you want your results from thesession.org, like this:
"club ceili" site:thesession.org/tunes

The first result is the tune page for The Old Favourite.

It works too for discussions, so if you want to look for discussions where "club ceili" is mentioned:
"club ceili" site:thesession.org/discussions

Thanks for your answers, though I found it’s not very convenient having to open another tab/window to make the search with google whereas there’s an engine inside thesession.
@jeff_lindqvist, you’re ok with that, but you have to know what kind of dance the tune is, which can be ambiguous regarding marches, slides, single jigs, some exotic tunes etc… And I don’t understand why it works that way. Jeremy, any explanation ?

thesession.org search requires a more exact match than Google. Note that the alternative titles on the example you requested "Club Céili, Club Ceilí" use either i-acute ("í") or e-acute markings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent

A thesession.org Tunes search including the marks does end up with a match.

The session search engine is very picky, even down to apostrophes.

As above, I recommend Google searching, as it can even look at alternative titles.

Unless you’ve tried to put together a search engine you have no idea how difficult it can be - even if narrowed down to say - ITM in abc notation - and nothing else. Between spelling differentiations, diacritical marks and even changes in word order, hyphenations and so forth and so on, it becomes a non-trivial task. If you want to make it worse, consider that a majority of the software packages that forums and such are built on are usually linux or unix. For those environments, speedy though they be, the Irish language diacriticals can make it just choke necessitating a change of environment and/or a command like "iconv -c -f ISO-8859-14 -t UTF-8" to keep things going only to have that result in enough changes that search patterns just plain get messed up. Be thankful that the software engineers that make the package thesession.org runs on have made it so stable, even if there’s a bit less flexibility in doing so.

However, if you have a title or phrase you’re looking for, try enclosing the entire thing in double quotes and see if that helps.

If you search with just ceili it comes up on the first page!

Oh, I’m not criticizing Jeremy’s search engine (or whoever put this one together) by any means…just pointing out to the OP that the site’s search engine can be tricky. Google can be a nice alternative, especially if you accidentally got an "alternate name".

But as others have noted, there are relatively easy ways to find what you need to on this site.