The Butterfly

The Butterfly

Hello, I have been learning the Butterfly slip jig and has anyone else noticed how it sort of makes you think of like a butterfly fluttering around carelessly? Like the melody sorta goes up and down pretty fluidly like a Butterfly’s wings or better yet a Butterfly in the breeze. That was probably the intention of the composer, but I don’t know if I’m the only one and I’m just a weirdo but that distinct image just pops into my head whenever I play it. Follow up question has anyone else noticed this with any other tunes?

So yeah weird question but I’m just curious.

Thanks!

Re: The Butterfly

Sorry should make myself clearer with my phrasing "does anyone else know any other tunes that sort of put a mental image in your head of the subject of the title?"

Have you heard Kevin Burke’s version on his "solo fiddle" album? He really plays with the rhythm to give the tune even more of that "lighter than air, being carried by the breeze" sort of feeling.

I just looked it up on youtube and yeah I do hear that really light feeling that he gives the tune, it’s lovely.

Thanks Fearfeasog

The Rolling Waves ~ the melody (particularly the B part) is… well… wavey in shape.

https://thesession.org/tunes/515

The version on Calico’s Celanova Square is pretty sweet

Agree with the Rolling Waves. I think jigs in general remind me of the sway of the ocean. "Sheep in the Boat" for me, starts with the boat bobbing in the waves and then something more tragic in the B part.

Fig For a Kiss.

Posted by .

The Old Favorite.

Posted by .

I’m curious what tune is that AB?

Eagle’s Whistle https://thesession.org/tunes/9853 "rolls" along nicely too. I’m somewhat fond of playing "The Snowy Path, The Butterfly and A Fig For a Kiss" as a set.

Somewhere on the web someone quotes the Tommy Potts, who put the tune together the way we know it, as saying that it was the unpredictable flight of a butterfly that inspired the way he played it.

I prefer it that way rather than the ‘flouncy’ way that many people play it.

Out on the Ocean always reminds me of a small boat in the rolling waves.

I’d bet if The Butterfly was named The Stomping Mastodon everyone would be saying how well the tune fit the title.

Well it does tend to be played in a very ‘plodding’ manner whenever I hear it!

A still, sunny day in a nearby park one day years ago, I saw two large butterflies moving into a sunlit patch where they spread their wings wide and soared around in a large figure eight, drifting upwards as they went. They’d do this around each other then flutter down into a shady bit and do it all over again. They were catching the warmth rising from the ground to power their flight, most likely looking for a mate that time of year, and conserving a bit of energy while they were at it. I looked it up later that day, they were Australian natives of a type you don’t see all that often in suburbia, so I’ve never forgotten it. That’s always what I think of when I hear this tune.

Posted by .

An Phis Fhliuch

Saddle The Pony

Yes- I like to play Saddle the Pony with An Phis Fhliuch.
(Very, very sorry. I’ll go to my room for a time out now.)

Just popped out of my room to say I’m trying to write a tune called Hide the Salami to go with the other two. I have the first bar:| EQ2 IQ2|. As you can see, it’s sort of a Scottish slide. Anyone have any ideas what to do next?

First of all 5string no it is not a scottish slide it’s what this site at least would call a Jig because as you can see it only has 6 notes in the first bar not 12 which are the most common in "Slides" Secondly there isn’t a Key or Metre or anything else needed to actually be read in ABC, and most importantly why are you using a Q and I note they don’t exist. So go back to your room and think about what you have done. I will get back to you when I get a version that will actually work in Easy ABC.

Nothing gets past you, does it Kellie?

Sorry for that comment- it was rude and un-called for.

I actually found it kind of funny, and to be honest I wanted to try my hand at composing other kinds of tunes like slides maybe I’ll actually write a slide called hide the salami sometime. :)

Kellie, you might want to use a different title.

Posted by .

Why?

Oooohhhh. Yeah I get you

5string, ye cheeky bugger.

If you like the title & it fits your slide composition certainly you can use it. But wouldn’t it be nice to ask 5stringfool if it’s OK with him? He did come up with that title.

Posted by .

Now that is a great title!

Posted by .

Oh I thought you meant that the title meant something rude, but yeah I guess it would.

Cross-posted, but I was saying "5string, ye cheeky bugger" would be a good name for your slide composition.

Posted by .

Definitely! That’s what it shall be known as. I already have a melody in mind!

BTW the reason I thought the title was something rude was because 5String said he was going to put with An Phis Fhliuch which means something let’s just suggestive in Irish with Saddle the pony.

I say go with "Hide the salami"

Posted by .

Hag at the Churn. Or is that another thinly veiled euphemism…?

No I think that’s pretty clean, and come on I can’t be the only one who saw the suggestiveness with sticking An Phis Fhliuch with Saddle the pony and Hide the Salami.

If you mull over the names of Irish and indeed other traditional names for longer than is good for you, it starts to dawn on you that they are practically all completely filthy! The experience would seem to have a whole lot in common with that of people who take LSD and in due course look up and realise - if only for themselves - that the whole ceiling is covered with huge black tarantulas. Mind, I have never put myself in this last situation and have no intention of doing so now. Nor do I actually assume that the torchbearers of Irish music all had dreadful minds… :-).

And can I just say that this discussion took a turn, didn’t it?

Thinking about a natural function of life is "dreadful?" 7 billion people on earth exist because of such dreadful acts. How dare we!

Posted by .

Thanks Aaron for proving my point that this discussion did indeed take a turn. :)

@David50 The main contribution Tommy Potts made to the tune was to rename it as the Butterfly. The melodies predate him by many years. He took parts of two old tunes that he probably learned from his father. There are published versions of the A part going back as early as the 1650s. The second tune (for parts B and C) was also quite old, and was often called Barney’s Goat. Certainly the tune would be a lot less popular today if it were still known as Barney’s Goat, so we can thank Mr. Potts for changing it to something much cuter.

Isnt it rather presumptuous to assume that people prefer butterflies over livestock? I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if some of the people Ive met in my lifetime do indeed think that goats are cuter than butterflies.

Posted by .

Yeah, I personally find butterflies terrifying up close. Goats are definitely cuter.

I think Mastodons are cuter than butterflies or goats

They most definitely are Richard. Too bad they don’t exist anymore. :-( If they did I would name mine Artemis

Although Shrews are far cuter than Mastodons, Butterflies and goats by a country mile in my opinion.

The melody of "The Floating Crowbar" has always seemed particularly suited to evoking images of crowbars defying gravity and surface tension.

Whereas the title "The Floating Crowbar" evokes an image of a vile, corny brown log (that curls a bit at one end) floating in a toilet bowl. Maybe that’s just me…

@Colman O’B, perhaps you could pair "The Floating Crowbar" in a set with "The Convenience" :)

There’s every chance that’s what Floating Crowbar was written for - I know McGlinchey’s sense of humour…
…and everyone knows the Doberman’s Wallet is code for The Dog’s Bo££ocks, right?

Speaking of random animals, I have no idea why the tune The Hare’s Paw is called that… it doesn’t evoke hares, or paws for that matter. It does, however, make me want to write a tune called The Camel’s Toe. Watch this space…

Re The Hare’s Paw and The Camel’s Toe, there’s The Day The Mastodon Rattled its Dags.

Really Matt?

I’m curious how long did you have that tune and not post it?

Wrote it in my head while I was eating lunch. Been out for a driving lesson since then.

Wish I could do that just write a tune in my head.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I had to do the whole head-scratchy "how does it go again" thing when I got back in the house, and basically re-learn the damn thing. Then translate it into ABC, and then the computer crashed before I could post it… so I wasn’t short of problems…

Interesting how The Floating Crowbar is rarely paired with Scatter The Mud, but they may work in a session on The Stool Of Repentance

I have to say that it’s been easy for me to mock the half-baked attempts at composition that have popped up here recently, but then Matt Leavey comes along with a lovely reel that would easily find a home at any of the sessions I’ve played in. Note that it was written the old-fashioned way- in his head and all of a piece. No committees.
Now that’s all the salami you’ll get from me for a while. I’m off to cook my vegetarian Native American Day of Mourning meal.

*blushes*

Enjoy the Mock Turkey, 5stringfool!

Disclaimer: Sorry if this seems rude it is not my intention

-rant…

First of all I try to compose in my head but I always forget the melody I just thought of. Secondly, when I post my tune it is usually complete I just ask peoples opinions of the tune I usually never try to deviate from my original vision however I will admit that I do take suggestions if I think they fit . Last but not least, I wouldn’t call the compositions I have created "Half baked" I really do put effort in and try to write tunes that are within tradition and I think sound good.

-end of rant

Have a Happy Thanksgiving BTW :)

BTW good job on the tune Matt. :)

Sorry, 5string I see where you’re coming from "I pledge to not post anymore discussions about my tunes for the future until I gain more experience."

(whether I follow that is unknown hopefully I do, but I can never make up my mind)

The Stomping Mastadon is a tune I am composing on my bodhran.

Wayne

In the key of B flat, presumably?

Matt the answer is "yes" (hopefully)

To be honest, I think most instruments would B flat after being stomped on by a mastodon.

Bdumtshhhhhh

Ha

Next up: Slice the Salami! The very thought makes me reel… ;^)

I reely like that idea. :-P

Bdumtshhhhh

Would "Slice the Salami" have to be a slide, or could it be a slip jig?

I don’t know probably could be either.