Bass layout for C#D

Bass layout for C#D

I am planning to purchase a C#D box after New Year’s and am wondering if there is a more usable bass setup other than the standard Paolo Soprani setup for 8 basses. How well would the Joe Burke setup work? I will appreciate any intput. Thanks and have a blessed Holiday season.

Re: Bass layout for C#D

What’s wrong with trad setup? Bass can be an unnecessary burden that will water down your pulse of melody. I’m a recovering bass head so don’t take me too serious.

The Joe Burke setup is for B/C, but I wonder if that (or indeed a transposed setup to C#/D) would help you more than a C#/D setup along the Jackie Daly lines (no C#, G#, C or F, but a double G/G instead of D/G).

I remember an idea that Peter Browne presented some fifteen years ago in a Yahoo Group (sadly, I can’t find that post) - each of the eight buttons had a single note, no chords. There were Eb, G# and all that, in appropriate places on the left hand side.

Anyway, if you want to stick to a more "traditional" approach, make sure you have a push D somewhere (for the D major chord), a pull E (for the Em triad), A in both directions makes sense, and you definitely want a G somewhere - preferably in both directions. Depending on the tunes you play, a C might be more handy than the F#.

A c note bass?

Why bother when you don’t have a c on the treble?

If u want a trad sound keep a trad setup. My two kernels worth

Well of course you have a C on the treble Kernal. B# actually but it does the job. (You can now return to your shell.)

Forget the Joe Burke layout - it would be a big a waste of buttons for C#/D. It is designed to compensate for the fact that the notes of the arpeggio of D are spread over both rows on the B/C and you don’t have that problem on C#/D. You don’t need a D pull, and the big loss with it is that you have no F#/B pair. And for heaven’s sake do not think of upping it a tone.

For my purposes the standard layout with G/G is best. Yes the absence of a C chord is glaring and effectively prevents you from doing much with tunes in G major. Some people choose to sacrifice the F#/B pair to get a C chord, but I wouldn’t do that - they are far too valuable for accompanying tunes in D, Em and Bm.

Generally, I would say, if you must have a C chord, go for 12 basses. Actually I’d be more than happy with a 10-button layout, putting F/C on the extra pair. But of course nobody offers that.

My main squeeze at the moment is a 9-bass Double-Ray - modified to add one extra bass button, with a bass note of F/C on it - very useful!

Another interesting possibility would be to have bass notes only, no chords, as Jeff mentions. But it would require a very different approach to accompaniment.

id like to see a video of someone playing c tunes with c chords on a b#d accordion. That sounds like brain surgery

Uh, b# is c. It’s called an enharmonic equivolent, if I recall my music school training correctly. The same way an e# is the same as an f.

A b#/d accordion wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense, but it would be easy to play tunes in c because you have a c row sitting there on it. Not that someone would ever bother with such a ghastly thing when there are so many (dis?)reputable box systems already laying about.

@Kernal
"playing c tunes with c chords on a b#d accordion."

I think you mean c#/d accordion. Anyway, a C chord would be handy for basically any tune in G, plus the high number of Dmix tunes. Playing tunes IN C is of course of possible, but then an F would be handy, and so on…

To Dana: I read about the Peter Browne setup in an old post in the irishbox group on Yahoo. I believe it was possible to play two-note "chords" in just about any key. That very Yahoo Group doesn’t exist anymore, I can’t find it in the wayback archives either (only the main page). I’m sure I saved the post in a plain txt file over TEN years ago. Who knows, maybe Peter himself is still browing this forum?

Not sure where Kernal is going with all that.

Certainly any semitone box will have both a C and C# on the treble. For ITM, as Stiamh and Jeff said, the C chord is useful when playing in G.

If you’re going 8-bass then I don’t see any reason not to have:
outside inside
chord A/E, F#/Bm
bass A/E , F#/B
chord D/A, G/G
bass D/A, G/G

Assuming you’re playing Irish trad of course.

"I remember an idea that Peter Browne presented some fifteen years ago in a Yahoo Group (sadly, I can’t find that post) - each of the eight buttons had a single note, no chords. There were Eb, G# and all that, in appropriate places on the left hand side."

I have this on my accordion, it works excellent.

Posted by .

Do you mind sharing your setup?

It’s basically a mixture between a cocertina and an accordion.
Sure I posted about it here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,17580.msg216299.html#msg216299

Note that I have just this week let Albrecht add an extra button for me on the bass side, not out of neccesity but because it opens up a few options and there’s plenty of space anyway. My current bass setup is:
F3/D#3____G#3/A#3____C#4/C4 (Outer)
D3/E3______F#3/G3____A3/B3___D4/C#4​ (inner)

I should make a post about this little machine some time, when I was in Ireland for the Ennis trad fest everyone was raving about it.

Posted by .

If you really want to have fun check out "Organetto" . This is the Italian version of an ‘Irish accordion’. Somewhere in the listings is a discussion of the various bass setups used by various Italian players. I lost the link — sorry.

BTW the description of Joe Derrane’s bass is incorrect. I have it directly from Joe, but I cannot post it here. It is a Word file. I can attach it to something — if I knew what the something was.