HELP - We need good Nursery Rhymes

Thanks for that Aidan, just bought both the Arrowsmith CD’s.

Keep them a coming!!! 🙂

Re: HELP - We need good Nursery Rhymes

Baa Baa Black Sheep is a cracker.
There’s good reason for it (and similar) being first to be listened to and inwardly digested - it starts on the tonic, leaps to the dominant, works it’s way up to the octave and back down the scale using every note. A perfect introduction to the major scale (proper versions do at least - there are sawn-off versions out there!)
Get it on your whistle (or whatever) play it as musically as you can, then play variations.
Then go for Incy Wincy Spider and all the others.
Play and listen to Twinkle Twinkle Little star and variations - by Mozart and others.
These are the building blocks of musical education (using "education" in the widest sense) - you have to know and be able to play this simple stuff if you ever want to play anything more difficult.
Google nursery rhyme tunes.

PS that Arrowsmith list is excellent. Need to be played without the dots - they are mostly already in your head you don’t need the music, you do need to able to extract them!

Not exactly nursery rhymes, but Matt Heaton (who is a fantastic trad accompanist, player, and singer) has two albums of mostly original songs for kids out. They’re generally rock and roll(ish), including a bunch of "toddlerbilly" styled songs. Matt has a toddler of his own, so they’ve been tested out extensively (and he performs at the library and for parties regularly). I think a lot of his motivation has been to create some songs that help save the parents from years of Barney songs, etc. And in a lot of cases, even though the songs are generally about kid-themed things, he has written them to be fun for adults too…

http://mattheatonmusic.com/store.html

Since you posted here I assume that you are interested in Irish music. If so you should check out At Home with the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Make. It has a boatload (well, seventeen) tracks of traditional Irish children’s songs,all pretty great. Be forewarned though, some are a bit dark.

Listen to: Tim Hart and Friends - "My Very Favourite Nursery Rhymes" (1981 album) and "The Drunken Sailor and Other Kids’ Songs" (1983 album). The first one was apparently re-issued in 2010 as a double CD.

My young students love the songs on "When I Was Young" from Len Graham, Garry O Briain, and Padraigin Ni Uallachain. A few are dark in subject matter but there are many others that are just wonderful. Dazzledance, Soldier, Soldier, The Field Mouse’s Ball, My Aunt Jane, Fair Rosa, etc.

@Christopher Robin - Given your username, this one might be a good choice! 😉

Vespers

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

God bless Mummy. I know that’s right.
Wasn’t it fun in the bath to-night?
The cold’s so cold, and the hot’s so hot.
Oh! God bless Daddy - I quite forgot.

If I open my fingers a little bit more,
I can see Nanny’s dressing-gown on the door.
It’s a beautiful blue, but it hasn’t a hood.
Oh! God bless Nanny and make her good.

Mine has a hood, and I lie in bed,
And pull the hood right over my head,
And I shut my eyes, and I curl up small,
And nobody knows that I’m there at all.

Oh! Thank you, God, for a lovely day.
And what was the other I had to say?
I said "Bless Daddy," so what can it be?
Oh! Now I remember it. God bless Me.

Little Boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on the little hands little gold head.
Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares!
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZEI4P8OKY8

Thank you Christopher Robin — that was soooo cool. Real old school fiddlin! Great band!

Posted by .

Head ,shoulders knees and toes works well

David