A Most Mysterious Tune

A Most Mysterious Tune

Hello all, I have been listening to the recording of Dicey Riley by Bill Craig and Cu Chulainn for two years, and I have been trying to figure out what tune they play after they are done with the Dicey Riley bit. Do any of you recognize it? I have been itching to play it ever since I first heard it, but I could never find it or get the notes down by ear just right. Many thanks for your time, and have a good day (or night, depending on what side of globe you are on) If you are not inclined to listen to the whole song, the mysterious tune begins at 2:19 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVqtagmfdI

Re: A Most Mysterious Tune

None of them. Or all of them. Dash it all, who would go to a session?

Only missed it by one number and 80 or 90 notes. Dang

"which of the eight settings … would be favored at a session?"

#1 is fair game.
#2 is a bit quirky in places, but the only one that contains the F# in the B-part
#3 is just a fragment, not the complete tune
#4 is a completely different Paddy Fahy tune
#5 & #6 are (identical, save for a couple of small details) are in a different key from the usual one - maybe favoured by pipers
#7 looks like a bit of a personal take on it
#8 elaborate but session-friendly

This tune is played in several different ways in sessions (remarkably for a relatively new tune - but then, Paddy Fahy himself has probably played it in several different ways himself) - sometimes with notes below D, sometimes without; sometimes with F#s bars 9 & 11, sometimes with F-naturals, sometimes with high As instead; usually in D dorian but sometimes in E dorian.

Looking at it another way:
#2 is compatible with #1, but not with any of the others
#5 and #6 are compatible with each other, but not with any of the others
#7 is compatible with #1 and #8, but not with #2

So #1 wins out for general compatibility.

Thanks CreadurMawnOrganig, I’ve just about got the A part of #1 nailed down so in a bit, it’s on to the B part.

Thank you all! A two year quest is at its end. Now time to get to learning…

I’ve just learned "Paddy Fahey’s" and I love this tune! I just need to find a smoother way from B back to A and hope it shows up at a session sometime.