Session tunes

Session tunes

Hi all, hope you had a good Christmas! I was just wondering if any of ye could send in some of your favourite session tunes. There’s lots of session tunes on this but I’d love to know some commonly played ones in your sessions. Thanks a mil, flautist15

Re: Session tunes

You probably ought to go listen in on your local sessions and ask for tune names there, assuming your goal is to know what to learn for playing at sessions. if it isn’t that-what’s your aim?

That said, one of my faves at the moment, and a popular regular at my local, is Dr. O’Neill’s, a 5 part jig in D. Helvic Head is another. And the Humors of Ballyloghlin. Don’t miss My Love is in America and the Virginia reel, for that yank reel appeal.

Virginia is a town in County Cavan. :)

Oh is it? lol! That’s funny. I suppose Baltimore is a town in south Cork, then? ;)

seriously, I didn’t know that.

And next you’ll be telling us that Boston is in County Clare!

Lincolnshire.

Posted by .

Clare is a county in central Michigan.

You’re welcome. :-)

There is also a Waterford town in Michigan .

The only tune I’ve noticed as being popular at every session I’ve been to is "The Cliffs of Moher". There you have it! Learn this one tune for use at any session, skip the rest and concentrate on the brew. ;^)

Can’t forget Dublin Ohio.

No, I can’t forget that!

And Ulster County NY

Now THAT’S a properly hijacked thread.

In order to un-hijack this post, I would note that of the 80 most popular tunes on this site, all except for one are regulars at my session. So if you want to get favorite session tunes, going for the popular ones on this site is a great way to start.

I had a quick look at those 80 tunes - of the top 40, I think I’ve played each of them in a session at some point during 2016 (except Irish Washerwoman). Of the tunes 41-80 there were at least twenty tunes I’ve never played in a session last year (though many of them on my own). I know every single one from the 1-80 group, but perhaps only ten are regular tunes in my area (regardless of who are present). Foxhunter’s reel and Kid on the Mountain are probably our top 2 from this top 80.