Tunebook SD by Jerry Huxtable

Tunebook SD by Jerry Huxtable

Jerry Huxtable’s Tunebook SD has long been one of my favorite Iphone apps, but sadly it’s been not updated in over a year and a half and has lost some of it’s functionality since the last IOS upgrade. No longer can I play tunes or connect to my computer to update the tunebook and Jerry’s web site no longer works.

It seems that Tunebook is an abandoned project.

Does anyone have any information about it, or use a similar app that works with my existing abc tunebook?

Re: Tunebook SD by Jerry Huxtable

Hopefully you’re in luck: he’s just updated his apps. Have a look at the appstore. At least one of his websites is working, I was just reading about the apps to see if one I know of could be a suitable substitute, don’t know if he has other websites. Anyway, go have a look and let us know how you get on.

Posted by .

Jerry here! I admit I have neglected Tunebook for a long time due to not having the time to work on it. I did a recent update to support the iPad Pro, but I don’t have any devices which are capable of running iOS 10 and so I’m dependent on people reporting problems they find. If anyone does have problems with Tunebook on iOS 10, please let me know with a detailed description and I’ll try to fix them as soon as possible. The web site (http://www.jhlabs.com/tunebook/) is working for me, so maybe there was some temporary hosting problem or something.

Update… I received a reply from Jerry that addressed these issues. For some reason the mute switch was killing the playback and he fixed connection to web issue in an update today.

Thanks Jerry for a great app! If you’re an abc user and never tried Tunebook, check it out. Unfortunately it’s only available on Iphones and Ipads.

If you’re still interested in Tunebook alternatives, check out The Craic:
http://thecraic.co

wil macaulay (author of the said software)

After the update, on my iPad Air running iOS 9.3.5, if I close the app and reopen it (just press the home button, not force quit), the playback controls disappear and can only be restored by force quitting the app and restarting it.

For the record, the only changes made in the recent update were to provide a new-style splash screen to make it work at full resolution on the iPad Pro, to fix the host name displayed in the Web server (it now needs to have ".local" appended) , and adding rhythm pattern for slip jigs.

I didn’t make any changes to anything which might have affected the playback controls, but experience has shown that simply rebuilding with a newer version of the build tools can make everything go wrong, which is one reason I’m very cautious about making updates (there was that time when I made an update and a bug in Xcode caused it to build the app without the actual executable in it - the thing got all the way through the App Store review process and onto the store without even being capable of running). I can’t repeat the playback controls problem on my iPad here. or in the simulator though. I don’t want to spam the comments here too much, so it’s probably best to direct message me if you have a problem.

Well, now I can’t get the playback controls to come up at all no matter what I do…

I’ll contact you off-forum.

Aarrgghh! I’ve received a small deluge of complaints about the latest update all complaining about the same issue, so I thought I’d add a comment to explain for anyone else who’s having the same problem.

The problem is that a grey band with undo/redo buttons appears at the bottom of the screen and this obscures the controls there, preventing you from doing anything. This isn’t part of the app but is something the device puts up when you have an external keyboard attached. Unfortunately, it sometimes seems to think there’s one attached when there isn’t. There seems to be no logic behind this - I’ve several copies of the app on a single device and some of them suffer from this and some don’t. If you have this problem, you can get rid of the band by tapping in the search field and then tapping the button which hides the keyboard (bottom right of the keyboard). I can only suspect that rebuilding Tunebook against the newer version of iOS has made this start to happen. I’ll try to find a cure and issue an update as soon as possible.

If this doesn’t work for you, there is a setting to make this bar go away completely: In the Settings app (not Tunebook settings) go to General>Keyboard and turn off "Shortcuts".

Thanks for that solution, Jerry. I can now access the taskbar and play, edit, etc.

As for the Tunebook web server: on the iPad the URL with the .local appendage and the port number appears but I can’t access the server by just using that URL. I’ve found that if I use the iPad’s IP address plus the port number: e.g. 192.168.0.3:9845 (without any http://) it works. I can now upload/download tunes, etc. Hope this is useful for anyone else who might have had trouble with the Tunebook web server.

For the record, I’ve issued an update which fixes the shortcuts bar problem and written a grovelling expedited-review-process request to Apple. It turns out that if you hide a text field, the keyboard is also hidden, but not the shortcuts bar (which seems a bug to me). The reason it just started happening is that the shortcuts bar depends not only on the version of iOS you’re running, but the version I built the app on, so issuing the recent update to fix the iPad Pro splash screen caused this to start. That’ll teach me.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

All fixed now. Thanks for the quick turn around on this problem.

Tunebook is a fantastic app! I use it all the time. Thanks for creating it.

Pete

Hello Jerry
Firstly just to say I love TunebookSD which I have used from my ipad for a long time - so please keep up the good work. Seemingly however, the link to the ABC Notation Site is no longer working. It just seems to search for but never connect to the ABC site. What should I do? I did not want to uninstall then re-install the Tunebook app for fear of losing all my saved tunes. Can you advise please.

My Tunebook will no longer link to abc notation site. What is the fix?