Source for High Quality Uilleann Pipes reed

Source for High Quality Uilleann Pipes reed

Howdy,

The subject line says it all…

Who should I contact to purchase very high quality reeds for Uilleann Pipes?

Sincere thanks,

A.C.

Re: Source for High Quality Uilleann Pipes reed

I’m also looking for this.

Reach out to pipers and pipe makers near you. Ideally you want to purchase reeds made in the same environment you will be playing the pipes. If you have to order reeds from different parts of the world, get familiar with tweaking reeds, because no matter how good the reed maker is, chances the reeds will need a tweak or two before all the notes will play well in your environment. The only reed I’ve received that played well from the start was one made by a pipe maker near me.

Who is the maker of your chanter?
Where are you located?

In U.K.
http://www.reedshaman.co.uk

Northern Ireland:
Martin Banba Gallen
See Facebook google/ check if he’s back from his January break before contacting?

All the best,
Patrick

Posted by .

Ideally the pipemaker that made your pipes; reeds are not a one-size-fits-all proposition by any means - there are many variations in bore, tapers of same, hole size and spacing, chanter length, etc. even on concert-pitch pipes. If this is not possible, then send your set to a reed or pipe maker willing to do the work, that lives in a climate as close to your own as possible. But just getting some random reed in the mail and hoping it will play in your chanter is a very long shot, not likely to be satisfactory.

If you think you’ll be playing the pipes for a while then it would probably be well worth your while to learn to make your own reeds! Its difficult to learn, yes, but who is going to care more about how the thing sounds and how well it is in tune than yourself?!

Looks like Brian Howard’s "off the shelf" reeds may still be available. It’s a 50 quid "risk" but it’s worth a shot.
Also what’s the state of your current reed. If you visit a piper or maybe even over a Skype lesson someone may be able to advise about adjustment.

Posted by .