Anyone playing a Scott Cao violin?

Anyone playing a Scott Cao violin?

I’m looking for another instrument, and hearing good things about this maker.

Does anyone own, or has played one?

Thanks 🙂

Re: Anyone playing a Scott Cao violin?

Hello Jim,

I learned the violin on a Scott Cao. I picked it up at a violin shop in Montreal that had several of them to chose from. Played through them till I found one I liked. It was a basic chinese factory model stv017E I think and was easy to play, forgiving, with a nice simple warm tone. In my opinion in the under $1500 category, I believe the scott cao violins are very hard to beat, especially if you can get access to a selection to chose from. Resale value, not so much though! But they do vary in quality so recommend actually trying before buying.

However, once you get to the more expensive ones, especially the campbell workshop ones, I would say there are some polish makers that would make more sense and in my opinion offer better value and more interesting instruments!

However, as Im sure you have hea

I play a Scott Cao violin that I purchased in 2006 and I couldn’t be happier with it. It is a model STV750 Gasparo da Salo. It has great tone and projection, and I often get unsolicited comments on how good it sounds. With Obligato strings, this thing really rings. Unfortunately most of the positive comments refer to my violin - my playing ? Not so much! Having a good sounding instrument has encouraged me to improve my playing skills, and actually makes it more fun to play.

Be sure to try out any violin before you buy it, though. I’ve played other Scott Cao 750s that didn’t impress me as much.

I’ve been hesitant posting this but…. I think buying an instrument is like adopting a pet. There must be dozens in your region just waiting to be adopted - loved - played - caressed. Why not look locally to buy from a private seller or luthier….

@Paul O’Connor and Mohammed - thanks for your comments - they are quite helpful 🙂

@Alpinerabbit - the main difficulty is find a good shop in England that stocks these violins (and just as importantly can do a proper setup on them).

I guess I wasn’t specific enough. I meant other makers, either from shops or private sellers. I don’t see why you would seek out a factory make in Europe. There’s so much else out there.

Alpinerabbit , I understood what you meant. I’ve tried shedloads of violins, old and new, and I’ve been finding that the more modern instruments are more consistent in their tone, and generally free of wolf notes, whereas the older ones are not.

There are some excellent Chinese instruments around, and I’d heard good reports of the Scott Cao instruments, which is why I aksed about them specifically. They are a lot cheaper than their Eastman equivalents.

One could spend a lifetime searching for an instrument, and I don’t have too much of that time left 🙂

Hi Jim,
As a beginner to the fiddle, I bought a Scott Cao 017E in 2011 and am very happy with it. I’ve had several good fiddle players try it out and all have agreed that it played better than what they would have expected from a €500 instrument. The tone is lovely, especially in the lower registers. Having said that though, as I gained more experience and began to get a feel for the music and the instrument, I had to try many different types of string to get what I feel is the best sound out of it (and I’m not finished yet!). I am currently using Thomastic Infeld Blue A, D & G strings with a Dominant E string, which seem to work well. Having said all that, I bought the instrument new (really new - it was built in 2011!) and as I play it every day, I do believe that the overall tone has improved. I spoke with a fiddle teacher recently who considered the Scott Cao fiddles to be a step up from the Stentor Student instruments. I hope this was of use to you.
Best of luck on your quest,
Paul

Posted by .

Thanks, Paul. More useful information to work with 🙂

I have been playing a Scott Cao fiddle since 2007 and the one I had before it (a student model) and which I had learned on was also a Scott Cao. It is a great “fiddle” violin. I get a lot of comments to this effect. The action is quite high, as it was on my old one, and I am used to this, but no one else can stand playing my fiddle.

Glad to hear other Irish fiddlers are playing on these instruments!!