Tunes id from catskills

Tunes id from catskills

Hi,

I’d like to know the names of those reels especially the first and 3rd one. Help me !

Also I’d like to know if those players are pro ? Their swing is a delicacy. I always found those catskills recording very pleasant to listen there is something special about their swing ! 🙂 What do you think ?

https://youtu.be/hwJ1Zr_Sanw

Thx

Posted by .

Re: Tunes id from catskills

1st ~ I Have No Money (in C,… nice)
3rd ~ Black Pat’s in F (by Tommy Peoples). Pat was Tommy’s cousin known as "Black Pat" due to his hair colour (and not his temperament according to Tommy!)

Catskills is amazing and inspiring, very serious players abound playing seriously good music all over the town. One day you may make it

Posted .

Sean Gavin (the flute player on the right) is indeed a pro. And he is also a great player. One of the fiddlers (dude on left?) is louder and seems really good. The others blend too well for me to tell much more, and I know nothing about the strummers, although the guitar player seemed a bit tied to his capo(watch the fiddler give him capo instructions at about 2m 20s).

One doesn’t have to be a ‘pro’ to be a great player.* Most trad players do this for fun and make zero money at it. Quite the opposite, in fact - most of us spend far more money on instruments/lessons/cds (and beverages at sessions) than we could ever recoup. Many of the greats in the past did manual labor in the trades - construction etc. Even today, most hold down a "normal" job and play on the side.

*This music is not terribly difficult- technically speaking - and anybody with a modicum of talent and intelligence can be a good player, if they apply themselves.

Posted by .

The guitar player who is apparently "tied to his capo" is Josh Dukes.

Posted .

argh F maj is pretty unusual key for me… playing Black Pat’s with short F natural on my flute is a nightmare ! I’ve succeed in learning all those C,Dmaj, Gmaj tunes with my short key so far I definitively need to buy the F long key to play this tune ! 😉

Posted by .

It works well in G on the flute.

Posted by .

Nathan Gourley, Sean Gavin, and Josh Dukes all have excellent CD’s posted in the recordings section.

Posted by .

Nice set! Kelsey Lutz also on fiddle, from the Detroit area. The guitar appears to be tuned down a whole step to dropped E which makes for a nice snappy sound.

Posted by .

sorry dropped C

Posted by .