Regarding Irish songs, are there any that sit particularly well as flute tunes?

Regarding Irish songs, are there any that sit particularly well as flute tunes?

Some songs make gorgeous transitions to instrumental pieces. Which ones?

Re: Regarding Irish songs, are there any that sit particularly well as flute tunes?

Very many in my opinion. The flute is quite like the human voice to me. Think lyrical songs.
This comes to mind:
https://vimeo.com/channels/olwell/163538667

The best songs to play will be the ones you really know well. Sing the lyrics in your head as you play, let that guide your performance.

Re: Regarding Irish songs, are there any that sit particularly well as flute tunes?

Song for Ireland
Bonny Portmore
Star of the County Down
Down by the Sally Gardens
Loch Tay Boat Song
Maid of Coolmore
My Cavan Girl
The Parting Glass
Red is the Rose
Raglan Road
Wild Mountain Thyme

Posted by .

This may not be what you’re thinking of, but much more lively that most listed above. Of course the singer would need to speak the language. BTW, since drums and guitars suffer much deserved slagging, I find this a grand example of how it could (should?) be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkycbufVxQs

Thanks so much, folks!

I think any song will sit well on the flute, though some will require keys or half-holing.

Now none of the songs on the list above were the sort I think of as "Irish songs".

The ones I love to play on the pipes, flute, and whistle are

Ar Erinn ni Neosfainn Ce Hi
Anach Cuain
A Spailpin, A Ruin
Carrickfergus
Roisin Dubh

and one the provenance of which is, perhaps, unclear
My Lagan Love (Roud 1418)

Seems to me that at least here in the USA there are three sorts of songs called "Irish songs"

1) the Tin Pan Alley quasi-Irish songs. These were composed in New York and catered to the sentimentality of the recent Irish immigrants and their children. Danny Boy, Irish Eyes, etc. There are countless hundreds of these, and most are cheesy.

2) the Irish Folk Music Revival "folk songs" of the 1950s & 1960s. These, seems to me, are the equivalent of the American folk songs as sung by Peter Paul & Mary and so forth. Fields of Athenry etc.

3) Sean Nos songs in the Irish language. These, here, tend only to be known by recent Irish immigrants, especially those from Irish-speaking homes or areas. There are plenty of these people around here, mostly Irish nuns and priests. My own priest for many years (until he retired) is a fluent Irish speaker and treasure-trove of Irish songs, and has a lovely singing voice.

When I have a gig where I’m playing preservice music for an "Irish wedding" I never know just who will be in attendance, so I tend to cycle through the three species of music above, so there’s something for everybody.

I have heard Pride of Petravore (Eileen Og) with King of the Fairies, they go quite well

and maybe not Irish but heard at Irish sessions:
Mairi’s Wedding
Believe me if all those endearing young charms

Also Phil The Fluter’s Ball.