Does anyone play tenor banjo tuned in GDAD?

Does anyone play tenor banjo tuned in GDAD?

Just curious…

Re: Does anyone play tenor banjo tuned in GDAD?

No but I play it DGBE, which might sound crazy, but its the top 4 strings of the guitar and I found it lends itself great for harmony notes and a better tone.

The only downside is I miss the low G string … maybe on day I will find a 5 string Tenor.

Posted by .

I’ve searched and experimented with alternate tunings for banjo and guitar but nothing really seems better than GDAE to me. I don’t do chordal playing on banjo so never really tried GDAD

I do. Seems a bit odd to most folks I suppose. I play primarily OM and bouzouki and have those tuned GDAD which works nicely for switching between accompaniment and melody for my purposes. I play the same tunes on all three and and I just don’t want to bother rethinking the way to finger them when I switch instruments.

I can’t be of much help as I don’t play tenor banjo, but I do play tenor guitar tuned CGDG and capoed up to DAEA or higher. I do think it seems to help strike a balance for switching between accompaniment and melody for what I do , but then again I doubt that is much use on a banjo.

I’m contemplating doing what rob zouk does for the same basic reason. Some tunes work better in GDAD and others in GDAE. At least it isn’t verböten to switch tunings. Apparently, bluegrass types do it all the time.