Bouzouki strap recommendation

Bouzouki strap recommendation

My left upper trap and neck are getting sore where my strap cuts across my shoulder, especially when I play my zook in standing. Has anyone had any luck with alternatives to standard straps? Harnesses or waist straps?

Re: Bouzouki strap recommendation

I’m going to assume you tried a quality, wide, padded guitar strap….

Never seen a waist strap or harness myself. I have seen guitars mounted to stands in front of the player, in playing position. Useful when looping multiple instruments, and moving between instruments… but that’s another bag to lug and kind-of a major set up.

-Have you looked at your positioning/positioning of zouk? Can you make adjustments? More vertical positioning perhaps, of the zouk…
-Could also try some regular stretching/head-neck rotation…etc…

I started playing the round back Greek bouzouki and found that a classical guitar strap which goes from around your neck to around the back of the body and then hooks into the sound hole worked very well to solve the problem of the round back constantly slipping away from me. I realise that is not your problem but it could also work as a good alternative to a standard strap.

My strap is three inches wide (78mm). I know that’s not what you asked!, but I’ve never had the issues you describe (except with a banjo). I’ve never seen one used in person, but there are guitar style harnesses available like this one https://neotechstraps.com/guitar-support-harness.html or http://www.slingerstraps.com/harness-strap-guitar-strap.html or http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/slider-straps-dual-shoulder-strap

I use to experience a lot of discomfort as you described and tried many different straps (padded, unpadded, leather, fabric, etc.) However, I did find a conventional strap that solved the problem made by Lakota Leathers. Very supple and comfortable. The only kind I use now for all of my fretted instruments.
They are sold here: http://www.lakotaleathers.com

Another outfit — www.longhollowleather.com — makes a strap they call the "softy" that fits mandolins, banjos, dobros and guitars. Adjustable and incredible comfortable. I have one of my mandolin and it is amazing.

I’m very content with any of the various 2.5" wide woven-nylon straps I purchase at Guitar Center. They’re standard brands but that’s where I find them. That said, my bouzouki is the lightest instrument I own by size and I don’t have problems standing up and playing (although I don’t do that anymore because of hand damage). The same straps on my 12lb banjo have me suffering in about 5 minutes so I can understand your desire for relief but surely, your bouzouki can’t be that heavy can it?

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out. I am a physical therapist and an accordion player as well, so I am stretching and am used to weight on my shoulders. It is just the particular angle where the strap cuts across my shoulder.

My Sobell sports a strap made by Mountain Leatherworks that consists of two straps that are attached to a padded shoulder piece (2.5"x6" leather and sheepskin) by means of a brass pin, extremely comfortable and keeps by Sobell OM hanging properly. Unfortunately I believe Mountain Leatherworks are no more. Elderly Instruments use to carry them. I would look at what Elderly Instruments currently carries. The Lakota Leather straps look interesting as they should be extremely flexible, won’t cut in, and should work well for light weight instruments.

Well, there’s always those sheepskin pad thingies down at the auto parts store that go over seat belt straps to keep them from cutting into you. That would be an inexpensive and easy thing to try.