bass chords on mini 1 row melodeon

bass chords on mini 1 row melodeon

A little advice needed. I have a 1 row mini melodeon in key of D. It has 2 bass buttons, a/d, note and chord. I’m just trotting out some oom pah bass rythyms on some polkas in A and D, so chords ‘work’. I guess I’m ok on Bm. Would you suggest shifting up G tunes into A, or play G’ tunes and miss a bit of the left hand. A lot of G tune’s don’t have the C in or when I have looked at notes, I see the C is often sharpened, so not so much worried about right hand, just thinking about sounding less dis-chordant with left.

Re: bass chords on mini 1 row melodeon

the left hand basses on a 1 row box are always going to be rather ‘hit and miss’ and I never worry too much
about leaving them out when they don’t fit the melody. You could think of them as being like the regulators
on uillean pipes and bring them in to add emphasis where they do fit. On ‘A’ tunes they will fit 75% of the time anyway

Just learn the right hand and throw the basses in if and when they fit. If I remember rightly, those mini melodeons (if we’re talking about the cheap plastic jobbies from the shores of far Cathay) don’t have proper LH chords - just single notes or possibly root and Vth - so that might make it slightly less discordant when the chord is ‘wrong’.

@plantgnome: assuming that Creadur is right (and he usually is) in his suggestion that your L/H basses are single note (or root and 5th), then Bm tunes should be OK.

Your "D" base should be OK in GMaj tunes (being a 5th of that scale) - but you might need need to be careful before using the "A" base, the latter being a 2nd of the GMaj scale.

its only a single voice, so doesn’t have a lot of power, left hand accompaniment makes it louder ! just trying to get a bit more variety of keys into a set of tunes. G tunes, with just using the D note, gives a Gmajor chord, if you jam on g and b. D chord, fills out, d. Can also play and Em chord. Its a bit of that thin, concertina sound with a few burps thrown in. Its ok, its a different texture, but is a bit of a contrast to go from full bass to occasional. I guess one shouldn’t expect to much from a ‘toy’.

Mine has leaky bellows. Has yours? If not, how were they healed?

Chris B.

@plantgnome: It’s clear that you have a full understanding of the limitations of this particular instrument and, as you say, it’s probably to be regarded as something of a "toy".

Nonetheless, if melodeon playing is going to be your "thing", it’s a good starting point. So perhaps save up your money and get something better? Perhaps a two-row G/D or a three-row G/D/A ? And if you’re really serious, maybe one of those 2 1/2 row playing systems that are favoured by the top players …

@Ebor_fiddler: most bellows leaks occur at the folds, so if this the case for your instrument, the only answer is to re-tape the bellows. A long and tedious job, as it’s usually best to remove the existing tape before applying the new. It’s also important to use good-quality tape and fix it with the right kind of glue.

Charlie Marshall of CGM Musical Services can supply you with all the correct materials.

http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Welcome.html

My only caveat would be, is it worthwhile spending time and money on a cheap instrument?

Probably not!

Thanks, I think i’m down to D, A and Bm, should be able to get a few 1000 tune’s out of that lot, with maybe some burpy G tunes thrown in, ha ha. Just needing to reaffirm, clarify my own head. Got a few more G variations out of it now. Its a handy size which is why I like it. Mine is a ‘souped’ up model, not quite sure about this but it may have ‘double bellows’, not quite sure how they are fitted into each other. Didn’t realize theres a proper tape for these things. In the spirit of ‘Cuz Teehan, I would of suggested ‘duct’ tape and elastic bands.

@plantgnome: if your bellows ever need re-taping, definitely DON’T use duct tape! Or any other kind of tape for that matter, unless it’s good-quality bellows tape. The same applies to the glue. Use only the special bellows tape glue.

As mentioned above, Charlie Marshall of CGM Musical Services can supply you with all the correct materials, together with the instructions of how to do it!