Online Irish Music Academy

Online Irish Music Academy

What are people’s thoughts on OIMA?

Any happy customers?

I’d like to take up the Bouzouki and have a couple of friends who play and are happy to give me tips and pointers etc…

I’m thinking the OIMA subscription may be worth it for a month to get me started… a good idea?

Re: Online Irish Music Academy

I think you mean "OAIM".

I don’t have any experience with them, but I did a few courses with "Scoiltrad", which was a similar idea about 15 years ago. It was an OK experience for a beginner, but not as useful as being in person. I guess it depends on how you like to learn…

Whoops!

Got the previous discussions on search now!

Any recent feedback would be great though!

Great people involved in the site and the music. Solid, good tutors.
Great musicians all. I have no hesitation at all about their value.

are they still active?
I put in for a trial account and never even got an automated response, not even in my spam box.

Judging by the promotional mails I receive fairly regularly, I think they must be there OK.

Posted .

I just had a look on YouTube at a sample fiddle lesson ith Tola Custy. No issues with the content or quality of tuition at all, but I couldn’t help but be amused by his delivery, which is as if he were teaching a class of primary schoolchildren. I believe he is (or used to be?) a schoolteacher - old habits die hard 😉

I had a look all around the site (I’m registered as a member), but I think the only things that are free are the basic lessons on the usual instruments (fiddle, whistle, flute, pipes concertina etc).

Next step up is 28 day access to all classes, for 19 Euros/month, at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.

I used the OAIM site for the bouzouki lessons a year or so ago. I was generally happy with them although since you are not actually interacting with a live teacher the approach has inherent limitations.

Posted by .

I recently subscribed to OAIM with the aim of augmenting my skills on instruments I already play and also to dive into something new (whistle!). The video tutorials have been great so far, and the site also provides play-along jam sessions for a wide variety of tunes for which you can control speed and mix of backing/melody. Features I haven’t explored yet include online discussions, scheduled drop-ins by tutors, a VR jam session (!), and the ability to upload your own clips for assessment. I’ve also enjoyed dropping in on instruments I don’t even play, just to find out what are the fundamentals (one of the latest tutorials is ‘Songs in Irish Gaelic’ with Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, for heaven’s sake!)

Posted by .

Great!

As always - thanks for your help!

I have a subscription with them and it’s a good supplement for me since I am only a learner…both on the whistle and concertina…. I do take in-person lessons with a local trad session musician, which is essential for me..he helps me and corrects my bad habits before they develop on both instruments.
I use OAIM mostly to start to learn new tunes…The tutors there are top notch…Edel Fox and Liam O’Brian on the Concertina to mention a few…

Also an opportunity to see and hear how tunes are played on other instruments in OAIM rather than the one you are learning on to help play by ear and maybe learn to play your selected instrument in your own way or which is all part learning to play in the Irish Trad method

Wonderfully talented and accomplished tutors who are enthusiastic in their teaching. I’ve also enjoyed learning tunes from other instruments than the one I play. There is an incredible wealth of material (tunes and technique) available with a subscription, so highly recommended.

Posted by .

I have joined twice over the years for various time periods and enjoyed their selections and lessons. Well worth it IMO!

My wife attended a flute retreat last October in Ennis, and I want along just for the trip (I’m a guitarist). We had a great week. She found it very useful, and all the people involved in putting it on were very helpful and great company. Of course, you couldn’t fault the location either! We’d certainly like to go again.
Neither of us has made use of the on-line tutorials yet so I can’t comment on the effectiveness of those.

I’ve been very pleased with the lessons they produced. I don’t have the time to take lessons locally and this provides a nice alternative. I’ve been going slowly through the whistle lessons and forcing myself to learn the tunes entirely by ear. It is a great way to improve your ear training as you can repeat sections endlessly if necessary. I have found my ability to learn tunes by ear has improved markedly since I began.

I took a quick look (I’m registered with them) but couldn’t find what I was looking for, which is the Bouzouki tuning they teach. I think it’s GDAD. I play Bouzouki in GDAE, purely to keep the fingering the same as Fiddle and Mandolin. I’ve read posts where people have joined for a month, then downloaded everything they could in that time, then cancelling their subscription, joining again for another month when necessary.
Alex.