concertinas

concertinas

is it just me or does it seem like there are almost no other concertina players here?

Re: concertinas

I think there are quite a few. I am one anyway, english though.

Dick

Another one here, although it’s not my main instrument (I play C/G anglo, 30 buttons).

I also play C/G anglo,30 buttons, it’s a morse ceili

ditto mainee mcgrath. Playing for 4, 5 years now. hard to remember…

My sense is that the concertina is a ‘second’ or ‘third’ instrument for many folks, so their conversation involves their primary instruments.

I took up concertina a couple of years ago. Wonderful instrument, fun to play. But it gets neglected because of time demands from the primary instruments, wife, house, wife, job anonon…. :-)

The question that may be better is how many play concertina as a primary instrument? I sense that is a smaller group.

Picked up the concertina a couple of years ago to have a melody instrument.
Lessons from Junior Stevens of the Press Gang has me playing in the sessions.

I started on fiddle, then fell in love with flute and concertina around 1990.
At the moment the anglo is my main instrument - but that is subject to change depending on the people I play with. The concertina keeps string-players honest.

AND … there is a good site elsewhere devoted to ONLY concertinas, where one who plays may assuage discussion of many diverse aspects of it, and its repertoire… (where I hung when I was playing a lot *more* concertina).

Posted by .

BTW, Chris Ghent, the Australian concertina maker — who makes fine instruments — is a frequent reader and occasional poster here.
I assume that most concertina players are familiar with www.concertina.net.

An ex concertina player as a second/third instrument, but I am hoping to be able
to take it up again in the future. It can be a very cool instrument.

Frequent reader, rare poster. Anglo primary instrument, Suttner C/G 38 key, 26+ years.

I took up the concertina before I took up the fiddle, so I play the concertina much better than I do than the fiddle and therefore it’s the instrument I take to sessions. However, I’m very focused on learning the fiddle these days so I talk a lot more about that than I do the concertina.

I started on the concertina about 4 months ago, picked up a nice C/G 30 button Tedrow. I devote as much playing time to it as I do the tenor banjo and mandolin, which are my primary instruments.

Big upsurge in concertina playing in Ireland in last decade. Lots of young people playing it. But don’t think they’ll be found here much, have their own social media outlets.

Frequent reader, rare poster. English Concertina is my main instrument. Learning tenor banjo and mandolin. I’ll see if my brother fesses up - he plays english also but it is no longer his primary instrument.

Posted by .

This is my fifth year playing concertina and I know I’ll never give it up, it’s such a beautiful instrument when played well. One of my favorite players is Edele Fox.

Been playing Anglo concertina for three years. Now my primary instrument.

4 years now and I love it although I play other stringed instruments ‘tina has my heart.C/G Clover anglo.
Speed for session playing is about 3/4 of what most players in sessions would expect but they are a tolerant group if I start a set.Seemed to hit a plateau about a year ago.Started to play tunes ,songs, etc in Bb and F and then found some recordings using these.Seemed to re-invigorate me.Would love to be able to play the pipes and listen to a lot of pipers which does influence how I play the’tina.Hide behind the button box players in sessions which allows me to practice the nearly known tunes.
Ornamentation skill is fairly basic(i.e virtually non existent) but I’m content if i can get the melody and chording is a mystery yet to be unravelled!Edel Fox is a lovely player and had the privilege of a workshop held by one of the Mulcahy girls which showcased the potential of this instrument.Hope to get to Ennis for a workshop around Easter this year finances and family commitments willing.