What’s the name of this barndance?

What’s the name of this barndance?

Does anyone know the actual name of the first barndance in this set?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTnpbERuOg

In the description it’s named "Joe Bann’s" but none of the midi files sound anything like it on The Session. Has this tune been named wrong on YouTube or is it just because this specific setting hasn’t been added yet?

Thanks

Posted by .

Re: What’s the name of this barndance?

Great, thanks Kellie.

Posted by .

No problem.

It sounds like he’s playing it in Dmaj if my ears don’t deceive me.

Welp looks like my ears deceived me; it’s not in Dmaj.

It’s lucky I can read music so don’t have to play along with him while learning the tune.

Posted by .

As I play a D whistle.

Posted by .

Alastair Anderson, a concertina player of note.

"I can read music but it helps if I know the tune".

Agreed.

Posted by .

Just to clarify. Joe Bann is Joe Bane. They’re pronounced the same.

I’m curious how are they pronounced the same? When I was learning Irish, I was told that bann would be pronounced "buhn" I think at least.

Yeah, and I always thought it was pronounced ‘Bahn". I guess it’s up to the name-holder as well as the part of the world they live in.

Posted by .

Wouldn’t ‘Bann’ and ‘Bahn’ (and ‘Ban’) all be pronounced the same by an English speaker at least?

"I’m curious how are they pronounced the same? When I was learning Irish, I was told that bann would be pronounced "buhn" I think at least."

You’re probably thinking of the Irish word ‘bán’ meaning white or pale or fair even as in the reel called Mollie Bán or Bawn.

But Bane family name is not necessarily from same meaning. You’d always have to tread carefully with pronouncing some names in Ireland and elsewhere too I’m sure. Even well known names like Marie have different versions never mind more obscure names.

Posted .

The spelling "Bann" simply reflects how the name "Bane" is pronounced in Ireland. (for those who read IPA - /bæn/, cf. Strabane /strəˈbæn/). Bahn makes me think of U-Bahn, Autobahn etc.