Paganini Moto Perpetuo

Paganini Moto Perpetuo

I recently came across this https://www.facebook.com/CillianKingMusic/videos/1260631537305241/ from Cillian King. Now I’m trying to remember who else has covered this - on button accordeon I think although it may have been a bandoneon. I’ve searched my music collection but can’t find it under this title. Has anyone else heard of it?

Re: Paganini Moto Perpetuo

Máirtín O’Connor recorded it on his album Perpetual Motion.

Thank you! I felt sure it was Martin O’Connor - I could hear the tone of his accordion in my head but couldn’t find it in my collection.

Cor, amazing, wow. Bravo.
It must take a certain kind of memory to remember all them notes - I wonder if he’d be any good ‘counting cards’? ;-)

And fair play to you with your celebration. If I could even remember half of that piece I’d be well pleased. As an old codger I’m delighted to see a young ‘un achieving such a standard.
If I was a real curmudgeon I suppose I would asking ‘can you whistle it’? Heh.

Pah! Punk fusion rock cyber trad. Wouldn’t have lasted a minute in O’Donoghue’s in the 1970s. Ruining the tradition.

On the Martin O’Connor version, you can hear a big sigh/groan about halfway through, in the ‘break’ between part one and part two - either from Martin or from one of the band/crew. They’re obviously having fun!

On Paul’s clip, I think that’s really good playing there by Cillian King. It’s one of those pieces that’s played straight, without pauses. Unlike jigs and reels, which are full of tea-breaks by comparison.

That ‘tune’ is one of my violon ‘life studies’, actually. So, a couple of observations and questions …

He’s playing it around 132 bpm, and normally it would be between 160-180 on violin. Concertina players - is there a limit to the speed you can play because of the way the reeds work (air flow limitations) ?

Technically the Paganini "Moto Perpetuo" has a couple of octaves outwith the range of the concertina, but I hear Cillian simply changing octaves well before he gets out of range. Of course, Martin O’Connor had to do this too on his melodeon, for that tune.

As for memorising the tune, it’s 380 bars long. Irish 2-part reels are 16 bars long, so that’s just like playing 23.75 tunes one after the other, without a break :)

To be honest, memorising the tune is not as difficult as it might first appear, as there are so many repeating parts, both in the lower and higher register.

I’m curious; what is the ‘relevance’ of learning Moto Perpetuo (for anyone who is devoted to learning the tune)?

Posted by .

Ben, I really don’t understand your question there …?? Although it’s often played as a showpiece, it’s also used as a supplement to the usual scales and studies when leaning violin. It’s one of those pieces that covers just about everything in terms of fingering and single-note bowing (and development of stamina).

I’m sure that wasnt’ the answer you were looking for …

That’s exactly what I was asking, Jim.
Your answer is why learning Moto Perpetuo is relevant to you.

Posted by .