Identify Sharon Shannon B minor reel pls

Identify Sharon Shannon B minor reel pls

Gay Byrne special on Sharon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp_kQWTpnUk

It’s the first tune at the start of the show, at 2 mins 50.. Sounds like the sorta thing Shazza would write. I have a few of her albums but don’t recognise this one. But I’ve now learnt it. So compelling

Re: Identify Sharon Shannon B minor reel pls

I’ve never heard it before. it didn’t sound at all Irish to me. It actually seemed part Klezma and part something purely Sharonish. I didn’t like it much, and boy what an awful TV show!

Posted by .

It’s the Reel Beatrice
Quite popular at the time with Eileen Iberia and Seamis Egan having a go around the same time…..

Posted by .

Eileen Ivers and Seamus Egan

Posted by .

Its a popular tune in Quebec- there’s a great recording by Denis Pepin [accordion] and Lisa Ornstein [fiddle]
if you can ever find it - La Bottine Souriante also had a version on one of their cds, sorry cant remember which one

It’s Italian by origin. I learned it in Bmin and regret that as everyone I know plays it in Amin.

Posted by .

Reel beatrice. I see, Thanks kenny and everyone else. And as you say Boyen, it clearly is a reel adaptation of the Italian polka Oggi Nevica. That becomes indisputable when you hear that video of the Italian accordionist playing it.

Since Sharon plays it in B min, I’m gonna be a smarty pants, and play it in a medley with Bach’s La Badinerie, which has a very similar rhythm and also in b min.

Gobby, how could you knock Gay Byrne’s late, late show ? Don’t you know what an institution it is/ was in Ireland ? A little corny, but hugely important. And celebrated the country’s musical heritage on national TV. Not many other countries where that happens