ITM on period instruments

Re: ITM on period instruments

This video is not "desponsible" "dans mon pays". Too bad… looked interesting.

It’s fine - it is what it says - "de la musique baroque d’Irlande et d’Écosse", - to me , the important word being "baroque". They’re probably not going to fit in very well at a session at the Willie Clancy week, but there’s more than one way to play Irish traditional music. No problems with it at all, if they came to Aberdeen, I’d pay to go and hear them.

Posted by .

Mind you, "John Anderson, My Jo, John" is a bit too "drawing room", certainly for Scottish folk clubs.

Posted by .

I thought that was lovely.

Considering the Gigue is part of any baroque suite, and à la Hornpipes also exist… back to the roots!

About 24 mins in I was really starting to envy the guy fishing!

Obviously some have been able to view this. I can’t. How’d ya do it?

Miming. A pop video.

Posted .

Thanks moxhe, what I heard was lovely.

"Cette vidéo n’est pas disponible dans votre pays."

Posted by .

When the pipes join in it improves considerably.

What "period" is meant?

Everyone plays ITM on period instruments- the instruments of the period concerning ITM as we know it.

Playing ITM on 19th century Bulgarian folk instruments, or ancient Chinese instruments, or Renaissance Italian instruments, or instruments of any other place or time not relevant to ITM, doesn’t interest me.

This is gorgeous, will save for later.

If you can’t watch it due to country-restrictions, you could try setting up a proxy (basically an internet-rerouter). Helps for this and some other things as well (GEMA used to have German YouTube in a stranglehold, but proxies could bypass it. Also, revolutionaries in both China and Turkey used this after Twitter and Facebook were blocked by the government.

I’m with Richard - does nothing for me.

Posted by .

"What "period" is meant? "… well knowing this site I had expected this post was going to be about musical tampons or something.

Posted by .

I watched the video all the way through and on the whole enjoyed most of it. Like Kenny ,I would take the time to go and hear them in concert if they came to Aberdeen. Some of the posturing and posing was a bit OTT ( I thought) but I could cope with that and I would have managed fine without the songs.
Just my thoughts but the main reason I am here is to find out if any one can tell me the names of the two tunes played at around 22-09 for the two dancers.
Thanks Ian

Not trying to sell anything here, but this stuff is kind of my specialty. My ‘period’ is 18th century, as I feel it is so pivotal in the development of ITM (Bunting, the harper’s last gasp, increased publications etc.) The two that are
most likely of interest if you are into this sort of music would be The Surefooted Rambler and the Hibernian Muse. The sound samples give a brief idea. Someone mentioned John Anderson being a bit ‘parlor’. Well that’s the audience these tunes were being published for…parlor musicians. I have alwasy wrestled with ornamentation on these old melodies and there just isn’t any info out there that I can find. I have a lot of printed material and am constantly amazed at how many of these melodies have lasted pretty much intact. Also, many of what we play as dance tunes today started out on the stages of London.. my favorite on that note is "Haste To The Wedding". I have it in a guitar instruction book from 1770 as "Song From ‘The Elopement’", sung by two different characters.
Really fun stuff… at least I think so. http://www.wireharp.com/recordings%201.htm

Robert Mouland

The snippets I just listened to sound pretty great! They’re exceptional musicians and bring wonderful life to the music they’re playing. Does it sound like Willie Clancy? No. Does it have to in order to be good? No. Taken at face value, it’s just good music.

It is what it is. Hey, at least it isn’t being played on a Moog synthesiser….

We had something similar in Canada a decade ago — a group called Puirst a Baroque. But they cleaved a lot closer to the Cape Breton [CB] fiddle tradition even though played by classically trained musicians, all of whom also play Baroque music in the group Tafelmusic. Have a listen:

http://www.cranfordpub.com/recordings/bach_meetsCB.htm

@ wireharp personally I reckon when it comes to ornamentation on this stuff it’s truer to form to go very light. The way these folks play is very indicative of the border tradition of the late 17th century. Think powdered wigs and slavery, skipping lightly through the squalor to an early death.
There ain’t much time between gigs and skining another goat for your strings to get as fancy with all the finger gymnastics as we can today.
I’m not saying for a minute the people couldn’t play, didn’t have great music and decent instruments, just that the bar was lower by and large and it is just the best that has survived.
Ornaments as played in border tunes like Cuckold which this bunch open that fromage festival with consist mostly of those ever building arpeggio runs. Almost non existent in modern "trad" and evil under the fingers.

"… skipping lightly through the squalor to an early death"
Ah.. I see you’ve been to New Jersey.

RWM
(born in Teaneck)