Michael Coleman - Remastered

Michael Coleman - Remastered

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a remastered album featuring all of Michael Coleman’s recordings. I’m mainly doing this for friends, but if others are interested, I’ll see what I can do. Here is a sample of what would be included.

https://youtu.be/HmdjbtIgIT4

Re: Michael Coleman - Remastered

Doing a quick listening comparison on the Tarbolton set, it seems like yours has the least static, but you’ve maybe taken off some of the sizzle of the fiddle, too? I don’t think I’d prefer yours over the https://thesession.org/recordings/33 version, but definitely prefer both of those over the other copy I have, not sure where it was from.

Also as an FYI, I was looking into US copyright status on pre-1972 albums the other day, and it seems to be completely insane, with public domain status determined on a state-by-state basis. Assuming no change in the law, you cannot assume they are public domain for another 50 years. (Though I admit I’d be inclined to ignore that on the argument that it clearly *should* be public domain, no matter what goofy thing the law actually says.)

Also believe he had a set of tracks that have never been released on CD (possibly nor on 78?) – a nicely remastered version of those would be a great thing to have!

Can you re-master it without the piano?

Posted by .

Ergo, just what I was thinking! That clueless 3 chord bashing has the effect of making Coleman’s playing sound flat………….

haha, yes I’d like that too. Although there are one or two tracks where the pianist can’t keep up with the pace and Coleman takes no notice at all, which I always think was either rather unsporting of him, or not very musical. Then again, such was the nature of recording back in those days that there probably wasn’t the option of second takes.

I’m afraid I just cant get past the piano. Coleman must have been a very patient man. The guitar is better though.

> “Coleman must have been a very patient man.”
Not really. He only had to hear it once. The rest of us are stuck with it for ever.

I actually thought about removing the piano bass from pianists such as Kathleen Brennan and other terrible players. How about leaving Ed Geoghegan? His piano playing always put a smile on my face. I remember something about Coleman wanting the piano only for a percussive effect. He didn’t care about the melody.

In all seriousness, some of my favorite recordings are when Coleman and Tom Morrison bash the pianist for not keeping the beat.

That sample is a great improvement for hearing detail
in Coleman’s playing! You can hear a light touch with the bow.
On the published CD set it’s more heavy sounding.

Here is a new restoration from a mint Decca pressing. The proper rpm has been employed in the transfer. Everything has come straight off of the shellac disk. Nothing has been added that wasn’t in the original transfer.

https://youtu.be/AE8mnyCrrnw