Brock McGuire Band

Brock McGuire Band

This four man group performed here in central Arkansas on Friday, March 3, 2017. I got to attend the performance for free because their piano player, Dennis Carey, needed to use my Roland EP-90 Digital Piano. There was a small spinet type piano at the house where they performed but they did not like the way the piano was tuned so I was asked to bring in my genuine fake imitation piano. Dennis Carey seemed to be having too much fun playing with my "toy". I sat quietly in the back and was surprised how good my Digital Piano sounded because I have owned it a very long time. Before they started, I showed Dennis how to operate it and then I got out of the way. Yes it was a house concert at a BIG house which is owned by a wealthy music lover. Has anyone else heard this band or is familiar with them?

Laurence

Re: Brock McGuire Band

Plenty on youtube…. They come out of Co Clare. Lots of fusion - old time, Irish, blue grass.

Yes so I noticed.

These folks are not to be missed. Class all the way. I had the pleasure of taking a workshop with Manus McGuire a few years ago that was transformative. Tons of tunes and a great perspective on approaching the music.

Speaking of "class all the way", after the performance all four members of the band thanked me for letting Dennis use my genuine fake imitation piano.

You are a lucky guy as they are the real deal. Hope someone recorded it.

Paul Brock’s solo stuff, his ‘Humdinger’ album with Enda Scahill on the banjo, and the ‘Ómós do Joe Cooley’ album he did with Frankie Gavin and Charlie Lennon (I think) are all well worth a listen too.

Last Friday, one week ago today, Paul Brock and Dennis Carey with two other musicians performed locally at the Hibernia Irish Tavern here. Their concert was sponsored by the Little Rock Folk Club and yes I did let them borrow my genuine imitation fake ersatz piano again. Dennis Carey did have too much fun playing my Roland EP-90 Digital Piano. Did I get to listen to them for free? Yes and I enjoyed it—again. Hibernia is where the local sessions are held on Sunday afternoons.

Laurence

Hmmm… Just wondering what part of the world you live where last Friday was a week ago today. It’s Sunday Afternoon where I live.

Posted by .

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA

Posted by .

Therefore two hours ago, when it was week to the day from Friday was actually very late Saturday night.!!.
Sorry Laurence… I was not intending to be a pedantic smart arse (ass). I was just checking to see if my brain needed re-synchronising. I am never really sure what day it is.

Posted by .

That is okay because sometimes I have trouble remembering what day it is also. I could jokingly say that I live on another planet where time is different but you probably wouldn’t believe that. I am glad that my brain doesn’t needs re-synchronizing. However, I do wish that some of the other musicians whom I play music with need to have their sense of timing and rhythm re-synchronized because they are playing either a fraction of a second before the beat or a fraction of a second behind the beat. This is especially frustrating when I am playing bass instead of piano.