Live Recording of a Session @ The New Inn Parson Lane Clitheroe 11th Feb. 2017

Live Recording of a Session @ The New Inn Parson Lane Clitheroe 11th Feb. 2017

Phil Brown has produced an excellent recording of a session held at the New Inn, Parson Lane Clitheroe, on 9th Feb this year. It was broadcast on his Radio Lancashire show, The Drift, last night (19th March), as part of the St Patrick’s day/weekend celebrations. It is brave attempt to get behind how this session started, almost thirty years ago, and how it continues and develops. Comments invited.

Well worth a listen, in my opinion, for the next 29 days! Well worth a visit to the source of this recording too - every other Sunday afternoon. Details listed in the Sessions Section of this website.

Re: Live Recording of a Session @ The New Inn Parson Lane Clitheroe 11th Feb. 2017

Why not put the details here so we can more easily find the recording?

Re: Live Recording of a Session @ The New Inn Parson Lane Clitheroe 11th Feb. 2017

I second that. I couldn’t see it on The New Inn’s entry on this site. *Good* session recordings are my favourite type of recording, so please post it for us Steve.

Apologies to David Levine and Periodactylised for not providing the link to the actual broadcast but thanks - and appreciation - to Matt Milton for his initiative in following such information as I had provided. Hope you all enjoy, or enjoyed, it and better still to meeting you sometime in the future at this session.

Really a session?? [Re: Live Recording of a Session @ The New Inn Parson Lane Clitheroe 11th Feb. 2017]

I listened to a lot of the recording. Sorry to grump, but is this really a session? Or is it an "open mike" or a performance?

At about 12 minutes, there’s one man singing song about a Galway Farmer, with pre-planned instrumental breaks by a few other players. At 25 minutes there’s a solo song, just one man and a guitar. At 32:30 there’s a solo song with one guitar and one banjo backing. (A single whistle gets to do a brief fill.) It’s not till 37 minutes that it begins to sound like a real session, but 48 minutes has another solo song…

A bit of singing is fine, but ISTM too often a singer turns a session into "I’ll sing and you can be my backup band." I’ve even been invited to "sessions" where the guy who set it up stood on stage, sang into a mike and took requests from the audience, while the musicians sat behind him and played what he demanded. I’ve not been back.

I hear where you’re coming from ‘frkrygow’ but confirm that this was a recording from a live session, honest!
It’s a long running one - as I hope came across in the spiel - and has always been one which encouraged the single song/singer, supported by one or two musicians in addition to tunes.

Your comments seem to suggest that this is not what a session should be. If this is so then so be it but we make no apologies for what was recorded and broadcast at our session. ‘Musos’ love the tunes we all know and will play to themselves all night,which is fine. However I believe that our collective opinion is that to exclude this long standing aspect of a session would be a bit anal. We play to entertain ourselves but also others and we feed off each other. Our non-playing audience love the songs as much as, if not more than, the tunes. This is particularly so if they can join in too. This is an aspect of our session, and many others we have attended and played in over in Ireland. It is one we have tried to respect over the years and, hopefully, not at the expense of the ‘all in s**t kicking’ sets of tunes. Not an easy balancing act but it seems to have paid off at our session as it is still ‘live and kicking’ after some thirty years or so.

To try to capture a four hour session, in music and words in less than an hour, has to be like catching smoke. A Session is likely all things to all men and all women but we feel, like it or not, that this recording did capture the essence of ours - for what it’s worth.

If you are ever over this way ‘frkrygow’ you’ll be made very welcome to join us and try our session first hand -and I’ll stand the first pint. If you like what you hear you’ll stand the next one and we’ll take it from there!

Sliante
Steve B