A question

A question

Hello All,
There was a time on The Session where you could search for a tune in your tunebook by name, type and key, however now only allows you to search by name and type. Is there a way to search for a specific list of tunes in the same key/mode? Thanks,
Lowhistle

Re: A question

Yes there is!

For example, to find all jigs in A Major:

- Choose "jigs" in the first drop-down selection
- Choose "Amajor" in the second drop down selection
- Leave the title box blank
- Hit the "Search" button

Thank you, Mix. However, not to sound too technologically handicapped, but I do not get any drop down boxes. It says find a tune by name or type and that is it.
Lowhistle

Mix, I see what you are saying. You do what you suggest in the tunes section, but I was looking for the tunes in my tunebook. It is there that there is no ability, at least as far as I can find, to select tunes by key/mode. This may not be a problem for a majority of people, but it is kind of a pain for me.
Lowhistle

Sorry, LoWhistle - my fault - I hadn’t read your question properly. I see now that it’s your tunebook that you wish to search, not the tunes database.

Since a downloaded tunebook is essentially an unstructured text file, (short of writing your own script or program) I don’t see any easy way of extracting selected info from it.

What you could do is not bother with the tunebook at all, but instead enter your favourite tunes into a spreadsheet or database application. You would then be able to extract or analyse your required information in any way that you wanted.

IMO the tunebook feature is of limited value these days, as it contains multiple settings of each tune. Most people just want to learn/play a single setting.

Mix, I have to agree with you. I gave up the search process in the tunebookl and use the search function in the tune section. Also agree that the tunebook function was really rendered useless by listing the multiple settings. I don’t see the value of that at all. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this question, i do appreciate it.
Lowhistle