There’s money in the old trad

There’s money in the old trad

FWIW, there was an interview with a representative of the vintners (pub owners) on Irish radio this morning. During discussion of costs and so on, she happened to mention that there’s €1 million spent on trad annually by pubs - paying for gigs and sessions.. I was only half listening and this figure furthermore may only apply to Dublin pubs. Her definition of ‘trad’ might be loose and probably includes ballad groups etc.

Nonetheless there’s money in the old trad, if you can get into it obviously.

Posted .

Re: There’s money in the old trad

Not sure if there’s money in it. 1M spread amongst 1M pubs is 1/pub. How many pubs is this in relation to?

There’s money in it, but not that much. You can make very nice spare cash out of it. Or a fairly hard living out of it. I wouldn’t recomend making a career out of it.

Ah but not all 750 pubs would be running trad sessions. I think she mentioned her own place and that there might be 3 or 4 paid groups per day on busy days.

Posted .

Also how many gigging/ paid session ‘trad’ musicians are there in Dublin? I don’t be up there that often but I’d guess the numbers are in the low 100s. As opposed to people who just meet and play a few tunes without payment.

Posted .

No, there isn’t.

You can have a fair bit of fun playing it, though, if you put yourself in the right sorts of environments for your idea of "fun."

There’s money in working in a biscuit factory - possibly even enough to live on, if you do overtime and live frugally.

There might be a handful of top-flight trad musicians that make a living out of it, but a *living* is all it is - no fancy cars or second homes. Besides, most of them do things that are a bit beyond trad in order for it to be viable (Frankie Gavin, Sharon Shannon, Martin Hayes, Michael McGoldrick…)

There was an interview on Today with Séan O’Rourke with Deirdre Devitt*, Chair of Licensed Vintners Association which begins @ 1:45:50 ~ http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F10703754%5F15036%5F30%2D03%2D2017%5F

* http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/new-head-of-vintners-association-aims-to-raise-bar-as-pubs-fight-for-the-future-35576795.html

"… While the LVA represents 600 Dublin pubs, 4500 publicans outside the capital are represented by the Vintners Federation of Ireland.

Devitt says there have been moves recently to unite the two bodies, but so far these have not been successful."

Posted by .

1 M€ spent annually, wow that definitely confirms there’s no money in Trad, keep your day job.

€6.5 Bn spent on Booze in Ireland circa 2012…

That’s Six thousand and five hundred times more than Trad music.

Of course this is consumer spending vs cost prices - but still puts it into a fair perspective…

What kind of money is there to be made in trad? Let’s see, let me check my wallet …. Okay, there’s - holy smoke! enough for a pint - see you later!

As with any profession, it depends what you want. In the Western world it is considered normal to desire to have children, a home of your own, a vehicle or two, electronic gadgets, insurance, and annual vacations, at the least. Don’t expect such dreams from gigging in pubs.

I know more than a few musicians making a living off playing trad, and even more who have very good careers as music teachers primarily teaching trad. 600 Dublin pubs is hardly representative of the whole country, and that €1 million probably does not include ticket sales and cover charges for gigs for more established acts and tourist shows. My own experience in Dublin suggests that the majority of those pubs probably have little to no trad at all, meaning there are a smaller group of pubs paying tens of thousands a year to musicians.

Places like Galway, Clare, Cork, and Kerry all have thriving tourism scenes that feature music heavily. Some pubs in Galway have two sessions a day, every day during the summer! But in general, I think the real money is in the UK, US, Europe, and other touring locations, where groups can do pretty well on a circuit of festivals, Irish and folk venues, and house concerts.

Is it enough for a Benz and a mansion? No. But I know people who have bought decent houses and support a family with the money they make from trad.

From reading the previous comments it seem that the consensus is - possibly yes, but probably no!

However let’s try this one: ‘Is there fun, friendship and the craic ‘in the old trad?’ I know for a fact there has been for me in the past four or five hours earlier today in my local session. Nobody made a penny other than the landlord but that’s his roll and our is to meet and play - a fair exchange as far as we are concerned - and priceless.

"In the Western world it is considered normal to desire to have children, a home of your own, a vehicle or two, electronic gadgets, insurance, and annual vacations, at the least. Don’t expect such dreams from gigging in pubs."

Everyone in the "East":
"How strange!" Haha!

You would think on a music website we wouldn’t be drawn into the "We’re totally different from them" mentality!

We’re all on the same boat with the same soundtrack!

Peace!

Found a relevant quote. Apparently someone asked paddy Cronin to teach them a few tunes and he responded "stick to the shit you’re playing: there’s no money in the real thing."