ITM welcomes our new robot overlords …

Re: ITM welcomes our new robot overlords …

There can be no creativity in the arts where there is no feeling. This is ersatz, an imitation of what it means and feels to be a musician. People will play it and maybe it will become accepted but what that says about those people and the state of art and music and self expression in a mass market modern world is of a little more interest to me. Though not that much I’ll take on board their reasoning for doing so.

Re: ITM welcomes our new robot overlords …

Steve; terms like ‘creativity’ and ‘feeling’ would need to be defined before we could base a philosophical argument on them. Neither science nor philosophy can currently answer the question what makes the human experience fundamentally different (as opposed to differing only in scale and complexity) from that of animals, plants, or indeed supercomputers and robots.

ITM is a relatively simply (that is to say, predictable) type of music (compared to jazz or classical, for instance), and I suppose it wouldn’t be that hard to deduct algoritms from it, which could then be used to create new music. Like children, robots might have to ‘learn’ through imitation but, possibly through feedback, could eventually develop true creativity (whatever that means).