Two Steps: James Morrison’s

Two Steps: James Morrison’s

On John Carty’s album "I Will If I Can" he plays John Morrisons’s. The first tune is The Wreck 0f 99 and the third is Reel d’Or. The second has been identified as Goodbye Mick and Goodbye Pat! Can anyone confirm the second tune?

Re: Two Steps: James Morrison’s

Whatever you’re having! Why does it matter?

"Goodbye Mick and Goodbye Pat." Are ye talking about a song called "The Good Ship Tipperary?"
I played for several years in a pub two piece with a blind man name of Billy Murray. That was one of his comeallyes and we had great fun performing it. I remember travelling home from a St Patrick’s gig in the Ponderosa Bar on top of the Glenshane Pass at about 5.00am and listening to Donnacha Whatshis name, who played this song on his radio program. I had never heard of this song before hearing Billy belting it out, and I had wondered about its history, so having heard it on Donnacha’s show on RTE radio, I sent him an email asking about the history of the song and telling him how I came to know of it.
He didn’t even acknowledge my request, let alone answer.
Thanks Donnacha.

Frankie Gavin sung a comic version of ‘Leaving Tipperary’ on an ‘80’s De Dannan album, quite entertaining, but really he’s better off with the fiddle…………….

Dan Sullivan’s Shamrock Band also recorded ‘Leaving Tipperary" …….ha ha ha

Posted by .

The ship is called the Dan O’Leary but they are leaving Tipperary. The tune I am searching for that John Carty plays I do not think is Goodbye Mick etc. Frustrating as I am trying to learn the set.

@Dijay1: I would be happy to transcribe these tunes for you when I have time, but why not just keep listening until you get them? Once you have learned one tune by ear, the next one is easier… and so on. It is very unlikely that John Carty himself learned thses tunes from a written source, so there is no guarantee you would find them anywhere anyway.

"The ship is called the Dan O’Leary but they are leaving Tipperary."
Yes! I stand corrected. Good old foot stamper of a song!
Alex.

Oh! Dem Golden Slippers.

-Professor Rietmann

The McNulty Family recorded it.