Fiddle tune played by fiddler Kevin Burke

Fiddle tune played by fiddler Kevin Burke

This is going to be a difficult one, I think.

I’m looking for the name of a tune played by fiddler Kevin Burke, and for some reason it’s just popped into my head after quite a while.

I heard it once at a noisy session, but I didn’t get a change to speak to the player.

The only clues I have are that it’s a jig (in G, I think, on the slow side), and it’s main feature is that it’s got the basic chord structure of a 12-bar blues.

Any help is much appreciated! (Note : this is not a wind-up !!)

Thanks.

Re: Fiddle tune played by fiddler Kevin Burke

"Willie Coleman’s" ?

Posted by .

Evening Prayer Blues from Across the Black River ?

"… it’s got the basic chord structure of a 12-bar blues."

Do you mean it actually has a 12-bar structure or just that it follows a similar harmonic progression?

I-IV-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I

Cliffs of Mother?

I’d look at Across the Black River, or any of the tunes paired with it. He tends to play them a bit slower than usual.

Posted by .

This is interesting. Jim specifically asks for a jig in a major key (possibly G) which fits the 12-bar blues structure. And people post all kinds of tunes that don’t fit the requirements. Willie Coleman’s is a standard jig in G; Evening Prayer Blues has a crooked structure alright, but is not a jig; Cliffs of Mother (Moher?) doesn’t fit the pattern, nor does Pipe on the Hob, Across the Black River, Green Fields of Woodford or Last Train to Loughrea.

We need someone who knows the entire Kevin Burke catalogue inside out.

I am pretty sure it’s Pipe on the Hob as I posted earlier. So hopefully I am exempt from your implied criticism jeff_lindqvist.

Just realized that my phone corrected "Moher" as "Mother"
It was the first Kevin Burke tune that came to mind, as I remembered a video of him demonstrating the tune and saying its nice to play it slower.

Alright timmy, the Pipe on the Hob is this one - https://thesession.org/tunes/1049 (a standard jig in Dmix) but last tune in the set (the Blue Adder) actually is a blues jig.

Jim, is this the one?

Thanks to everyone - no luck yet, and I’ve watched all the videos except timmy’s (because it says "this video is unavailable). "The Blue Adder" sounds promising!

CMO - assuming 12 notes (2 bars) per chord, the chords would be :

G-G-G-G
C-C
G-G
D-C
G-G

I might try and scrape out a few phrases on my fiddle, and post them here. There’s one little riff that’s classic - if you heard the actual tune played by Kevin, then you’d spot it right away 🙂

Jim, it’s the one I posted. Look it up.

Pipe on the Hob, by Open House.

It’s probably Blue Adder, unless he played another Blues somewhere. It’s track #6 on the Kevin Burke Open House album "Hoof and Mouth." The set is "The Split Rock, The Pipe on the Hob, Blue Adder."

I have that album and just listened to it. "Blue Adder" at the end of that set is a 12-bar fiddle/harmonica Blues with a bit more Irish jiggy feel instead of a traditional shuffle, but still a Blues tune.

I don’t know why people post questions here and then won’t accept the correct answer. Maybe you will believe Conical bore.

[*I don’t know why people post questions here and then won’t accept the correct answer. Maybe you will believe Conical bore.*]

Timmy, thanks for posting the clip. I just couldn’t play it (video not available). I don’t doubt your word 🙂

I’m looking on Amazon (sometimes they list album tracks with a short audio sample).

I have downloaded the Open House track from iTunes - The Blue Adder is most definitely a 12-bar blues.

@timmy!: You identified the track correctly, but gave the wrong tune title (The Pipe on the Hob is the tune immediately before it in the set - and is a very well known tune that does not, by any stretch of the imagination, have a 12-bar blues structure). That is why people were doubting your answer.

…The YouTube clip has been disabled (presumably for reasons of copyright), so we were not able to listen to it.

Thanks, lads!

I bought the "Split Rock / Pipe on the Hob / Blue Adder from track from Amazon.

6/8 works quite well with the 12-bar blues chord progression.