Is it normal for my wrists to ache practicing the whistle?

Is it normal for my wrists to ache practicing the whistle?

Since I have started to increase my practice the aches are coming on both wrists on the outer wrist where there ball of bone is on each wrist.

Will it go away with time or is it a sign of improper holding? I can’t imagine there are too many ways to hold the whistle wrongly, unlike the fiddle.

Re: Is it normal for my wrists to ache practicing the whistle?

Not unless you were doing something like sticking bluetack in it.

Posted by .

I sometimes play recorder for hours and my wrists never ache. I get a sore right thumb if I play the tenor recorder for too long because it’s heavy to support, and after hours of playing I get an ache at the bottom of my lungs, especially the right, but never in my wrists. Try to hold them as straight as you can.

Only if you’re trying to bend the notes the way the pros do.

Posted by .

Only if you’re playing low whistle and not utilizing the pipers grip. Other than that, I have no clue. Maybe swivel your wrists in a circular motion before you play to warm up.

No they’re not. If you’re hurting when you play any instrument you’re working/gripping too hard and I say that after decades of playing the most physical of instruments, the double bass. Not only does too much muscle hurt it interferes with good playing. Relax.

I have an inflammatory joint condition, and have never once had a problem with D whistle. I’ve had problems related to fiddle many times, but not whistle.

Posted by .

How long are you playing for? ? ?

As said above, I think you might be working/gripping too hard. Concentrate on relaxing. Otherwise…may be the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome??? Do you notice during other activities …. while using computer keyboard, etc.?

I would agree that you may be gripping the whistle too tightly. I have carpal tunnel in both hands (it is way better after some surgery) and there are some very specific pains I can tell you about when playing whistle. The worst of the pain is in the ball of the thumb. It feels like a nail is driven in there. Numbness occurs in the index and middle fingers. As far as wrists go, I felt mostly tightness and soreness there because of gripping too hard. I still have to watch about that. I sometimes play the recorder also, and I do not get the same pains while playing that. The wider body and conical shape make it easier to hold without clenching I think.

Outer wrist balls probably not CTS. We don’t know enough about OP to be giving medical diagnoses. You trying to scare poor Arthur? He’s already worried enough about blowing too hard and germs and calluses - why give him more headaches?

Posted by .

That’s exactly what I spent all morning thinking Aaron.

Posted by .

Thanks aaron! I do not need another problem to worry about but so wouldnt want this to ‘set me off’.

I actually am a programmer and spend 12 hours a day probably more at my computer but I would like to think it isn’t a medical problem from that since I never have issues when typing. Only since playing the whistle and only the last couple of days when practicing more regular.

I would tend towards the non relaxation hypothesis rather than the other dire prognosis.

And to note the wrists while typing are in a different position than when whistling. They are curved outwards when typing whereas the are straight when whistling.

If you’re spending 12 hours a day at a computer and you type with your wrists curved, that’s most likely the cause of the issue.