Tunes with appealing titles. It doesn’t matter whether they’re any good or not.

Tunes with appealing titles. It doesn’t matter whether they’re any good or not.

Something to go along with tunes you don’t like etc.

Apples in Winter.

Re: Tunes with appealing titles. It doesn’t matter whether they’re any good or not.

An Phis Fluich.

Posted by .

Re: Tunes with appealing titles. It doesn’t matter whether they’re any good or not.

Kitty Got a Clinking

Posted by .

I remember someone playing a jig called "She’s Sweeter When She’s Naked". I’ve never been able to locate it since, though.

Tell Her I Am

Somehow, 6/4 time doesn’t look so much like a jig. I’m probably not sufficiently cognizant of time signatures though.

Convert it to 12/8, have several pints, and look at it again. Maybe you’ll change your mind.

Posted by .

Thanks callison. It looks like somebody screwed up the ABC cause no, 6/4 is not a jig. I’ll look at this in the morning.

I believe there’s a jig called, How do chickens know the size of eggcups?

That one has to take the cake!

Posted by .

Mary Cut Your Toenails, You’re Tearing All The Sheets

The Night Before Larry Was Stretched

Old Hag You Have Killed Me

I Buried My Wife and Danced on her Grave

Hmm, most of these are death-related, not sure what that says about me!

Believe me, I love a lurid tune title as much as the next person. But if I may wax mawkish, as a father I’ve found "My Darling Asleep" to be a most poignant and charming title.

My all-time favourite :
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
I could go on to add almost all of Vincent Broderick ‘s titles but
The Whistler at the Wake
The Coachman’ s Whip
&
The Lighthouse in the Bog
will do for now.
And then there’s Junior Crehan ‘s
Her Lovely Hair was Flowing down her Back
(title taken from Angela Crotty’ s book ‘Martin Junior Crehan - Musical Compositions and Memories’).

"My Darling Asleep" ….." a most poignant and charming title"….. Yes, I agree! That title alone made it an essential learn for me. Another personal one is "Contentment is Wealth", because I’ve come to know the truth of it.

Posted by .

Did You Wash Your Father’s Shirt?

In some rural areas, one of the aforementioned tunes in known as "My darling a sheep.." 😉

The Stain on the Minister’s Shirt was a title given to me by an old fiddler many moons ago for a tune he had just murdered. ‘My mind will never be aisy’ is a another good one as indeed is ‘The cats ramble to the child’s saucepan’ which I eventually found out was another name for the Leg of the Duck………..

Personally, I like "Barbra Streisand’s Trip To Saginaw" by Liz Caroll. https://thesession.org/tunes/13829
Not the tune so much, just conjuring up a story behind the title.

Best wishes.

Steve

Steve, I was there when the tune was named. It’s not a very complicated story… ;)

Edited to add: Oh, yes, and it’s right there in first comment on the tune.

Poor But Happy At 53
The Killarney Boys Of Pleasure
The Rose In The Heather
An Irishman’s Heart To The Ladies
The White Petticoat
The Cap And Bells
The Fly Fishing Reel
Sailing Into Walpole’s Marsh
Ask My Father
Bang Your Frog On The Sofa

"Go to the Devil and Shake Yourself". I like the name better than the tune.

Blue Bells Over the Border

The Cat and the Bacon, The Oyster Wife’s Rant

The Flying Wheelchair

Posted by .

@Free Reed: ‘The cats ramble to the child’s saucepan’ as posted here https://thesession.org/tunes/365 is a completely diferent tune from Leg of the Duck.

The Starry Lane to Monaghan

Grant Wood Reversed Into My Dad’s Fence

The ebb tide
Banish misfortune
The snowy path
The Princess Royal
The broken pledge
The reconciliation

Some of the posts on this thread seem to indicate that the writer interpreted the OP as ‘Tunes with appalling titles…’, in which case, one might suggest ‘Cock up your beaver’ 🙂

Posted by .

Michael Gorman’s The Burnt Cabbage. He tells a good story about it too!

CreadurMawnOrganig …. I was thinking more of the other leg, the left one. Thanks for info anyway….

Too long in this condition
Lament for the little supper
The night we had the goat
old men of the shells

The cow that ate the blanket
Touch me if you dare

Do they have to be real names? I’ve used these substitutes when asked "do you have the name of that one?" and I can’t remember…
The Boys of Ballyfeckit
Curse the Dots or I’ll have your Ears
The Pedantic Blogger
The Maids of Wherever
Is that a Sindt in yer pocket or are ye just glad to be here?

Linsey Back

Posted by .

Chase her through the garden (https://thesession.org/tunes/188)
The cat that kittled in Jamie’s wig (https://thesession.org/tunes/173)
Never was piping so gay (https://thesession.org/tunes/648)
The price of my pig (https://thesession.org/tunes/4114)
A fig for a kiss (https://thesession.org/tunes/750)
The torrid romance (https://thesession.org/tunes/3153)
Mr. Brennan’s psychological problems (https://thesession.org/tunes/7878)
Courting them all (https://thesession.org/tunes/4058)
J.F. Dickie’s delight (https://thesession.org/tunes/15500)
I courted a wee lass (Beginish’, not added yet)
Mary and the teabag (Liz Carrol’s, not added yet)

"Cuckold Came Out the Amrey" has always amused me, although it’s a Northumbrian tune not an Irish one. "Salmon Tails Up the Water" likewise. On the Irish side of the House "Shaving the Baby With a Spoon" and "The Maid in the Cherry Tree."

Posted .

Pull the Knife and Stick it Again
Cornelius Curtin’s Big Balloon
When Sick is it Tea You Want?

All in CRÉ

Trip to Pakistan

The Peacock’s Feathers
The Last Pint
The First Pint
What What What

The Floating Crowbar
The Street Player
The Munster Grass
-Reavy Tunes-

This falls more into the "striking" rather than good category, but "The maid on the floor"

Dances at Kinvara
I Have Two Yellow Goats
The Ten Pound Float
The Four Courts
Dusty Windowsills
Sport
Seanamach Tube Station
The First of May (Appropriately enough)
March of the Mennatoiten Bull

Will you come home with me?
For the Sakes of Old Decency
She hasn’t the thing she thought she had
The Bashful Bachelor
Manorhamilton the Eighth of May
Middling, thank you
The Gossun that Bate his Father
Everybody Fancies Helen Mirren

Irish tunes tend to have very imaginative names, apart of course by all of those tunes named as somebody or other’s favourite (and that should be banned for laziness). But I must say that I only personally find less less than half of the names given so far as being worthy of special mention. I guess we all must be different. Anyhow, I’m busy at the moment, composing my reel called "Ho Malone".

Posted by .

Gobby, are going to pair it with "Ma Calling Kilkenny?"

ha, ha, Now that one made me laugh!

Posted by .

The Blackhead
The Vertical Smile
The Horse In The Cupboard
The Athlone Highlanders

I made those up. It whiles away the time at bus stops, et cetera… 🙂

In the 1960s/70s the late Con Curtin, Kerry Fiddler, used to run a pub in South West London called the Big Balloon and that was how the tune ‘Cornelius Curtin’s Big Balloon’ came about……….

Nope, Con’s pub was just called ‘The Balloon’. The ‘big’ part was just a bit of fun.

Posted by .

I say it again!
‘The Wind that Shakes the Barley’.
So evocative, so golden, so so wonderful!
*Poor Caoch and Pinch slept well that night,
And in the morning early
He called me up to hear him play
"The wind that shakes the barley:"
And then he stroked my flaxen hair
And cried, "God mark my deary"
And how I wept when he said "Farewell,
And think of Caoch O’Leary*

Caoch O’Leekie surely?

Mulligatawny was a fair to middlin’ piper too in his day!

Shetland Times and Tatties: the story I heard was that the composer, Robbie Leask, couldn’t decide what to call his tune, so a friend said, Just put down the first 2 items on your shopping list.
Shove that pig’s foot closer to the fire. (Used as the signature tune for Transatlantic Sessions for a few series of it).

This Is My Love Do You Like Her

Helicopters
Lost in the Loop
The Froot and the Snoot (we could go on for a while with Liz Carroll’s tune names)

Seanamhac Tube Station, Horse’s Leotard, Island of Woods, Gaffo’s Ball, Round the House and Mind the Dresser, Last Night’s Fun, The Faithful Friend, Glory Reel, Tickle Her Leg with Barley Straw, That’s Right Too, Munster Hop…

Posted by .

"McGeachie’s Mobile Party Unit" - Strathclyde Police Pipe Band, World Championships 2002.

Posted by .

Upstairs in a Tent.

The Floating Crowbar.

Andy Renwick’s Ferret (ask Kenny for the story… it doesn’t include a cute, furry animal in the weasel family)

@DrSilverSpear, it might just be me, but I don’t think there’s anything remotely appealing about a floating crowbar 😀

Some cracking names…..
White Lighning, My Ass
Felix and His Amazing Underpants
On The Road To Kashmagiro

Fasten the Leg On Her
Ah! Sure Such a Pair
The Doberman’s Wallet
McFadden’s Inflatable Girlfriend

"Touch Me If You Dare"?

I never understood the implications of that one. Could be anyone from a feisty young maiden to a pompous old bully saying it. Nonetheless, the name intrigued me from the start.

The reel did not live up to its name, in my opinion.

@Gobby—"Ho Malone"—good one there!

Go George, For I Cannot Endure You.

and, of course

Hold The Candle Steady While I Shave The Chicken’s Lips

@Colman O’B You’re not alone re ‘The Floating Crowbar’ being most unappealing, Colman, I’m with you there!
‘Seanamhac Tube Station’ has been listed a couple of times and this title appeals to me greatly too. It reminds me of a wonderful poster I’ve got from Taibhdhearc na Gaillimhe, Ireland’ s national Irish language theatre, advertising their production of ‘King’s of the Kilburn High Road’ - - ‘Boicíní Bhóthar Kilburn’. The play’s title, in Irish, is superimposed on a map of the London Underground, with many stations bearing Connemara placenames, Seanamhac being one. Yes, I suppose it’s ‘the still sad music of humanity’ that strikes my Irish heart to its core as I imagine our lonely Irish speaking emigrants digging tunnels when, in other circumstances, they might well have been out in their currachs fishing for mackerel in the silver seas of home.
Seanamhac Tube Station, I salute you!

‘The floating crowbar’, is that meant to be a threatening weapon reference?
‘The floating shillelagh’ sounds better!

Ummmm. I don’t want to put anyone ‘uptight’ Michelle, but the ‘crowbar’ is just a bit of toilet humor.

‘Mind Yourself of the Turkeycock’ - slide title just learnt from benhockenberry. And yes it is a good tune.

Ah, there are some great titles there!

My nominations are:

The Flatulent Friar from Frome (awful tune though!)
Trollpolska (I’m currently learning this one on my new box now that I have all the notes!)
Pull the Knife and Stick it Again (someone has already mentioned this one)
The Taxidermist

Just let me fly my drone
We won’t go home till morning
"You rogue, you dar’n’t meddle me"

Flatulent Friar of Frome? You should hear Saul Rose’s version : )