New site feature: see the sets of a tune

New site feature: see the sets of a tune

I’ve just rolled out a small addition to the site, but it’s one I hope will be useful…

It’s been just over a year since the site introduced the ability to make sets of tunes,
announced here: https://thesession.org/discussions/38596
Since then, it’s been great to see people make use of the feature: https://thesession.org/tunes/sets

Now if you go to the page for a tune, and that tune has been added to sets, you’ll see that information right there on the tune page.

So if you go to the page for The Earl’s Chair: https://thesession.org/tunes/221
you’ll see that it’s been added to over forty sets of tunes: https://thesession.org/tunes/221/sets

Or if you look at Sliabh Russell: https://thesession.org/tunes/335
you can click through to see the sets with that jig: https://thesession.org/tunes/335/sets

I hope that this will help give people ideas about combinations of tunes to try out. Remember, if you click through to a set that you like, you can add the set to your collection using the "copy this set" button.

Hope you like the new little addition!

Re: New site feature: see the sets of a tune

Nice.

I definitely do like it. Thanks Jeremy.

Posted by .

I thought there was a new tune called "ears chair" and I got excited!

No mater what anyone might say, we all appreciate and deeply respect what you’ve done with this site over the years and even oneil would be jealous.

i find comfort in old sets thanks

Posted by .

Nice addition, thanks!

The feature provides combinations of what people using this site think, in relation to the tunes that go together (based on their own limitations of the tunes they know and their experience), The same feature applied to recordings section would give a much more in depth and knowledgeable view of what are good sets of tunes, with all the respect that is due to people that use the features of this site, they can’t really contend with the musicians that have carefully thought this through in order to make a CD/Album.

What would be useful as well is to use that same "recordings" database to list just the tunes that have been played before and just the tunes that have been played after a particular tune, and if there was more than 10 items for each search that would accelerate the process of putting sets together.

Spiffy!!!

Theirlandais wrote:
"The same feature applied to recordings section would give a much more in depth and knowledgeable view of what are good sets of tunes"

That already exists. On any tune page for a tune that appears on a number of recordings, there’s a section detailing which tunes it commonly appears with.

So, to use the examples above, if you follow that link to The Earl’s Chair you’ll see:

"A tune by this name has been recorded together with Cooley’s (a few times), Jenny Picking Cockles (a few times) and The Morning Dew (a few times)."
https://thesession.org/tunes/221

Clicking on the total number of recordings shows you even more tune combinations:
https://thesession.org/tunes/221/recordings

Theirlandais wrote:
"with all the respect that is due to people that use the features of this site, they can’t really contend with the musicians that have carefully thought this through in order to make a CD/Album."

I disagree, especially when you get to see the aggregate view e.g. "ah, I see that 5 different people have put tune X in a set with tune Y". Only showing which tunes appear together on recordings isn’t necessarily going to accurately reflect what tunes people actually put together at sessions.

Excellent! Thanks, Jeremy.

Nice feature. I’ve copied your Fred Finn’s / Castle Kelly / The Earl’s Chair set - I don’t have an instrument to hand at the moment but running through it in my head it sounds like those transitions would work nicely!

Excellent stuff. Next request: make it possible to link sets to sessions - now that’s a feature I could see being useful :)

Posted by .

OK, I didn’t realise that https://thesession.org/tunes/221/recordings view existed, this is nearly what I’m after, the whole difficulty in sets is the dynamic between the tunes and the lift or impact you get between the tune changes, so a complete list of the tunes that were played in sets with other tunes is starting point, but the order in which they were played is the most important, when I click on https://thesession.org/tunes/221/recordings for the earl’s chair, if in addition to list of the recordings, it was to list the set of tunes on the recording and their order, that would be more valuable list. clicking on each recording takes too long.

So your list would look like this

1 @Home Alone by John Lavelle
Set: The Concertina — The Earl’s Chair
2 A Musical Trip To Coleman Country by Various Artists
Set: Rolling In The Barrel — The Earl’s Chair — The Dublin
3. An Historic Recording Of Irish Traditional Music by Paddy Canny, P.J. Hayes, Peadar O’Loughlin, Bridie Lafferty
Set: Rolling In The Barrel — In The Tap Room — The Earl’s Chair
etc…

Theirlandais wrote:
"clicking on each recording takes too long."

Yeah, but if you really think that the order of sets on recordings is what really matters (rather than sets that aren’t on recordings), I’m afraid that’s the workflow. You can get to the information you specifically want—it just takes more clicks.

I think most people are just as happy to see the sets created by their fellow of members of The Session.

Calum wrote:
"Next request: make it possible to link sets to sessions - now that’s a feature I could see being useful "

Well, you can do this now by posting a comment: "Here are some sets we play at this session…" followed by links to the sets. I’m not sure if that process can really be shortened. Either you’d have to click through to a session from a set, or choose a set from a session—either way it’s going to involve a lot of clicking and choosing; probably as much (if not more) than simply copying the set links and pasting them into a comment.

"I think most people are just as happy to see the sets created by their fellow of members of The Session."

So let me get this straight, people that use this site are happier to get their ideas and inspiration for sets from fellow thesession.org members like "Brad Jordash" the college quarterback, member No. 43238, than lets say Paddy Canny, Noel Hill, Paddy O’Brien, Jackie Daly, Patsy Hanly, Johnny Doherty, the Begleys, Mary Macnamara, Michael Coleman etc… etc.. etc….

Today we live in a world which is drowning in data and information, deprived of quality and value, we have at our disposal a source of quality information gathered over a period of 70+ years and we choose to ignore it, or not exploit that information.

It’s kind of like going into Château Palmer in the Bordeaux region in France and asking for a beer.

I reckon Paddy Canny, Noel Hill, Paddy O’Brien, Jackie Daly, Patsy Hanly, Johnny Doherty, the Begleys, Mary Macnamara, Michael Coleman etc… etc.. etc… would have done the same as us had they have had the resources.

Posted by .

Excellent feature. And a good use of the data available. I guess if sets by the greats, work and are influential they will show up numerous times whereas brad jordash’s will be a one off, unless it’s a great set and in that case good job Brad.

Point being while many recording artists will come at the sailors bonnet via the tarbolten, general players who have created sets here are just as likely to come at the sailors bonnet from the Salamanca. That is new information derived from the new feature available on this site

Theirlandais wrote:
"Today we live in a world which is drowning in data and information, deprived of quality and value, we have at our disposal a source of quality information gathered over a period of 70+ years and we choose to ignore it, or not exploit that information."

The information is right there, available for you to peruse. You want it to be more convenient for you, which is understandable, considering that today we live in a world which is drowning in convenience and instant gratification, deprived of quality and value. (This hyperbole lark is good fun! ;-) )

When it comes to sets (just as with tunes), what matters is whether you like it or not—not who recorded it. Argument from authority feels out of place to me when it comes to putting sets of tunes together.

Also, I think there’s a false dichotomy being set up here. There is a huge overlap in the sets that appear on recordings and the sets created by members of The Session. People on The Session often put a set together precisely because they heard (and liked) it on a recording by Paddy Canny, Noel Hill, Paddy O’Brien, Jackie Daly, Patsy Hanly, Johnny Doherty, the Begleys, Mary Macnamara, Michael Coleman etc… etc.. etc….

How do you remove a set from your profile? I added one as a note but have never played it or done anything with it otherwise, I’d like shot of it really if possible.

@Steve T.
Find the set, click ‘Edit this Set’, and a ‘Delete this Set’ button appears.

As if by magic. Thanks Colman

Thanks for the feature, Jeremy. It’d be great to have the sets feature extend to the recordings section, with specific tunes linked to specific albums. This way tunes that have the same name wouldn’t be (ie Tom Billy’s) wouldn’t all link to the results for the earliest tune posted by that name, but rather to the individual page.

Thanks Jeremy, good job!

Just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks so much!