Dots to ABC

Dots to ABC

Starting to get confident enough to want to submit a tune or two. Only problem is I don’t know ABC, and since I am kept quite busy trying to learn to play the fiddle, and since I already know dots, I doubt that I will be learning ABC in the foreseeable future. Any way of having dots, or midis, converted to ABC? I use the score editor Mozart, which converts scores to midis easily enough. Mostly thinking of tunes that I have been unable to find written out here or anyhwere else and so have had to figure out by ear and transcribe, and since I have got a fair number of tunes off the Session, guess its time to give something back.

Re: Dots to ABC

It’s not that hard to learn. Once I eventually made the effort, it just took me a few hours and I was posting tunes in no time at all. I used the Steve Mansfield tutorial

http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm

It’s even easier posting tunes here as Jeremy has kept things simple. I think "Muse" will convert standard notation to ABC but it’s really quite simple to do it manually. I usually test my work by firstly compiling the tune on ABC2Win before pasting the results on this site.

Go to the abc homepage and download the abc tutorial.It took me three hours to learn it.

Gerry, I also use Mozart, so we should be able to swap tune files. I’d be glad to convert your dots to abcs for you. Just send me a Mozart file and I’ll post the tune…or send your the abcs back so you can post them.

But as other people have pointed out, abcs aren’t that hard to learn. The letters are the notes, uppercase are lower in pitch than lowercase letters, and you generally use an eighth note as the default, so you indicate quarter notes with a ‘2’ and dotted quarters with a ‘3.’ Use the vertical line | for bar lines.

There are any number of us old timers here who are happy to preview abcs before they get posted—and the feedback you get from that is a good way to learn the nuances of the notation.

Posted .