Milltown - nowadays

Milltown - nowadays

I was last there 20 years ago. Even then to listen to a decent session (and I tend to listen, not play when in Ireland) you had to go out to Mullagh. The last weekend was spoiled by groups of drunken townies. What’s it like these days? My wife and I are thinking of taking our daughter this year. One of the nice things about Willie Week was going for a swim at Spanish Point after the classes. Is the beach packed out now?

Re: Milltown - nowadays

Myself and my cousin went to willie Clancy week in 2004 and 2005. It was great then we stayed at the Armada hotel Spanish point. Great sessions in the bar. Miltown was great lots of music in the pubs and streets. Lots of families enjoying themselves.Many stalls selling all things music related. Banjos fiddles bows etc.
Then we went about three years ago the place was full of drunks some fights completly changed.
We cut our visit short. Such a shame. We since found a better place in Mayo.

Last time I was there was 2009. It really was great fun, although I went more to play in sessions and take classes than to listen. The pubs got crammed in the afternoon/evening, so I’m not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I wasn’t participating in the tunes.

Scumbags hanging out on the street with bags of cans/bottles were a bit of a problem, and there was a bit of bloodshed on a few of the nights, although they only seemed to be fighting among themselves and leaving the rest of us alone. Local folks that I met were keen to emphasise that they were not local lads and had either come from neighbouring villages, from Ennis, or from Limerick just to act the bollix.

If you’re looking for a more family-friendly, slightly quieter vibe (but still lots of fun), have a look at the Joe Mooney festival in Drumshanbo. It’s not on the coast, but Lough Allen is right beside the town should you fancy a swim or a canoe trip etc.

It’s a few years since we’ve been but I think it depends on the weather a bit 🙂

Sunny & hot - grand but draws out the party goers and drinkers. Was in a campsite one year like that and we just went home early - impossible to sleep past 3am.

Wet & windy - not so pleasant but less street trouble.

Spanish Point beach - ditto, I’ve seen it practically deserted one year and absolutely packed the next!

But you can navigate around these things if you read the signs and best to have accomm a bit outside the town etc.

Posted .

I have been going for the last few years……. There are loads of good sessions going on all week, Friels (Lynch’s) and Blondes (Cleary’s) (kitchen) probably have the best musicians, it all depends on whether you want a good session and to sit down as well, that’s more complicated.
The small room in the middle of the central can also have some good listening sessions, as well as the back room in the central (although that gets too big). The back of Hillery’s can often have a good session. Michael A’s, Westbridge, Clancy’s etc.. is all a bit hit and miss, from the very good, the bad, the very fast and sometimes ugly.
hennesey’s which opened again last year had some good listening sessions.

A couple of rules to go by

Avoid Saturday night’s in Milltown, either side of the week, unless you have a can of cider in your hand, are a sixteen year old girl trying to look twenty, high heels and short skirt, or an drunk 18 year old guy, getting a little bit aggressive in the presence of alcohol and short skirts.
Sunday afternoon through Wednesday Afternoon is manageable after that forget the evenings as they are a bit of a scrum from wednesday evening onwards, you will need to look further a field.
the golden rule for good listening sessions is a tight confined corner in a pub that can’t fit too many musician’s, or E Flat or C-Sessions.

As for the beach, I have no idea, there was some sunshine in , 1976, 1996 and 2013…

It’s still a wonderful week, elbowpipe. I particularly enjoy the recitals/concerts, the cd & book launches, the lectures and the more solid aspects of WCSS, so to speak. If you register for classes you get access to all of the above (cd launch is free). Otherwise you’ll pay a very reasonable entrance fee at the door. You probably know all of this already.
Mullagh is still good for sessions and you’ll find a scatter of elbow pipers in O’Kelly’s most nights, if that’s your cup of tea!
We seldom fly close to the sun or frequent the (temporary) abodes of the gods. It’s just great to meet old friends and regular musicians from all parts of the globe -and there’s no better place for that. And we wouldn’t miss the Sunday night Eire ’s Alba concert for all the world. Even better if there are a few Cape Breton players thrown in!
Haste ye back & have a mighty week of it!