Venues for fiddling

Venues for fiddling

We’ve been watching Fergal Scahill’s fiddle tune a day series with some interest. There’s a variety of venues, some more suitable than others. This was particularly unfortunate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rekLRBgwBbA

Have a look around 56 seconds in to see some very interesting venue problems.

Do you have any similar experiences or stories about places where you’ve been fiddling?

Re: Venues for fiddling

The venue where I do most of my fiddling is at my fiddle teacher’s house. A few years ago he had a friend staying with him in the spare bedroom, over the music room, and suddenly the guest put his foot through a faulty floorboard and straight through the ceiling and a lot of plaster and dust shot into the room below, where my fiddle teacher was tuning his baroque violin in readiness for a Norwich Baroque rehearsal. Luckily the violin was only slightly scathed.

Typically of my teacher, though, he rather enjoyed the incident in retrospect. He got the floorboard fixed so it was safe but he didn’t get the plaster repaired. Instead he fixed a hiking boot into the gap so that it looks as if there’s still a foot coming through the ceiling. All round it the ceiling laths are broken and though he swears it’s safe I still feel as if I’m playing underneath ‘The Boot of Damocles’. 🙂

THAT would be a great name for a tune YOU compose about this incident… I already like The Boot of Damocles! Doooo it!

I took my young family to Achill 40 years ago. Camping. What do we remember about Achill? Midges. Midges with jaws like rat traps. Big sharp rat trap jaws. Haven’t been back to Achill since!

I don’t like playing outdoors. No natural reverb, just scratchiness. Good for Fergal. He’s fearless.

Posted by .

I laughed when I read this post. I am currently touring northern France in a campervan (tiny RV to those of you in the USA), accompanied by my ‘travel fiddle’ which is not particularly pleasant sounding but I don’t cry if it gets a spot of rain on it. The good fiddle is left at home.
So I don’t annoy other campers and residents, this week I have played in a car parking field; a shelter in a cemetery; sand hills looking out across the marshes; a bus shelter (but it smelt too bad so I left); and a deserted launderette by a beach until the owner came to close it for the night.
The whining travel fiddle comes complete with a couple of clothes pegs as a mute for when I am likely to annoy, but when I get good at playing something I do take the pegs off and let rip!
Nobody has given me any money for playing yet, which would be nice though not the purpose of my playing. But neither have they offered money for me to stop playing, which is reassuring.
And I just love playing in the open air.
When I get home I will be trying to find an inexpensive fiddle which is a bit easier on the ears though.

…and I have now just come in from playing on a deserted beach. I turned round to find a crowd of about a dozen French people watching me - they asked if I was Irish but I had to disappoint them and admit to being English, so not the real thing. And the midges are biting and messing with my rhythm!

But it sounds as if you’re having fun. Live long & prosper! 🙂