Logging in and logging out

Logging in and logging out

I have noticed, just in the last couple of weeks or so, that every time I come into "The Session" on either of my laptops, I have to log in again, despite having ticked the box to save my login details or keep me logged in. No such problem on my iPad - straight in every time. Why? Ok, if it’s all about security settings in these days of maximal cybercrime, then I approve!

Re: Logging in and logging out

I got no such issues on my pc, could it be that you delete your cookies and such within your browser or via secuity software automatically? This could cause your pc to "forget" any login data (but should be same for all to login sites tho if this is the case)

Dutchie, my cookies are intact. I have done nothing to alter my cookies. What are you implying?

Posted by .

I have been having this problem as well.

Re: Mustard Login

Me too. Now, what should those of us who have to relogin do?
Is it a temporary inconvenience or cause for alarm?

Posted by .

I have noticed a similar pattern. I have to relog a lot on my phone, especially if I have used thesession.org on my pc. I think my auto login on my pc might hide it from me on that device. I’m guessing that each time I switch devices I have to log in again.

Posted by .

I closed the session tab after I commented an hour ago. Just came back now and was logged out and hadn’t used any other devices.

It’s a very old problem that I reported years ago. Jeremy could not find a cause and I just live with it.

Posted by .

I did recently make some changes under the hood to make logging in more secure.

If anybody is having issues, could they please name the browser and operating system they’re using (e.g. Firefox on Windows 10, or Mobile Safari on iOS) and I’ll try to diagnose the problem.

Thanks!

I’ve been having this issue for the last week or so, both on Safari and Firefox (latest versions of both), Safari on iPad and Firefox on a PC running Windows 10.

Oops, stand fast Safari, that’s working fine.

I do not have this issue, im always logged in. I use mozilla firefox newest version.

Take a look at firefox settings if you use this.

In options, go to security tab, logins (I guess its called this as mine is in Dutch) and make sure you checked "remember logins for websites". Also make sure the session aint in your exceptions. Under privacy tab, make sure you remember your history (if not your browser will automatically delete your data including your logins so you will have to retype them every time you open the page).

I’m running on windows 7 with Norton security if that info helps :P

On my phone I use Chrome and also don’t have this issue.

I’m getting the same problem today - it was OK yesterday. I’m being logged out even though I have the login and password saved on the pc and no settings have been changed by me.

I’m wondering why. I’m no techie, so I can’t comment but I am using an ASUS Eee (ancient though it is in todays terms) on a mobile phone hotspot, Firefox and still running XP….good enough for my needs.
Perhaps this info will of some help to our esteemed webmaster.

Life’s so hard sometimes, no? Oh dear, what a shame, never mind. There are worse things.

Jeremy, on my machine it has only been the past few weeks. I’m on Windows 8.1 with current Firefox.

Posted by .

Been having this problem for a couple of weeks on macOS and Chrome and W10 and Chrome. Tried deleting cookies to no avail.

FYI, this morning I noticed this thread and found I was not logged in. I have had the ‘stay logged in’ box checked on previous logins and that worked fine in most cases. I have not posted in a while, so I don’t know when I might have begun not being logged in.

I run Windows 10 Home 64-bit; it has latest updates and patches. I have been using Firefox, v. 53.0.2.

I just now updated Firefox to 53.0.3, came back here and I was still not logged in. So, I logged in, then exited Firefox and restarted it and came back to thesession.org. I was automatically logged in this time.

I doubt that the OS or the browser is at fault. This is the only place I have this difficulty. That would also eliminate settings.

Posted by .

Also only experienced this in the last week or two. Haven’t changed any cookie settings myself.
Using Windows 10 + Chrome on one laptop.
El Capitan and Safari on Mac.
IOS + Safari on iPad: this is the only one where I now stay logged in.
All have all the latest updates.

This just happened to me for the first time this morning. Windows 7 64-bit running latest version of Firefox.

Hmm odd… I’m having the same issue…

Likewise.

Me too also. Mind you, in the great scheme of things, it’s a fairly minor irritation. Until I get so senile I don’t remember my password, I reckon I can deal with it.

Posted by .

I always stay logged in and it’s never an issue and what do you know, this morning I go to the website and I’ve been logged out too!

Given the number of recent incidents, this is obviously a new layer of glitch in addition to what I have experienced for some years. Has anyone other than me been dealing with being logged out for a long period of time? I wonder if the solution to the present ills will also cure my longstanding one.

Posted by .

Jeremy, again I’m using Windows 8.1 with Firefox 53.o.3 (32-bit).
At this time it seems like I can close the browser for a few minutes and still have login cookies when I reopen the browser. Also I am able to shut down my computer for 3 minutes and still be logged in when I restart the computer & open browser.

But I did have the computer off for 2 hrs. and was not logged in to thesession.

Interesting though because I opened up Firefox’s < about:preferences#security >

My setting have the Remember logins for sites box checked. But thesession.org was listed under exceptions.
I did not add it. In fact I removed it from the exceptions list.

It reappeared when I shut down the computer and restarted it.

Posted by .

Ben, are you sure you saved the change?

Posted by .

I’ve had this problem over the last week or so.
(Safari 10.1.1, MacOS X 10.11.6)

I saved the changes.

Posted by .

I can’t quite figure this out, but I’ve updated the log-in code so I hope the issue might go away soon.

It’s still not remembering me, not on the phone nor the computer.

The computer is a Mac running OSX 10.12 with Firefox as a browser, and the phone is an Android running Chrome.

I may have done a workaround.
I logged out of thesession.org
Then I logged in. But this time Firefox asked me if I wanted to save the password.
Apparently I was not getting the dropdown prompt from Firefox previously because
the exceptions list included thesession.org (even though I had not added the site).

After saving the password from the Firefox prompt and logging in thesession.org did not reappear on
the exceptions list. So far so good. It’s a workaround but it’s the only thing that seems successful.

Posted by .

And now the mobile phone seems to have joined the fun…worked earlier this evening when I posted but just now had to login again on the phone.
Ain’t we got fun, oh well.

Has anyone else on Firefox tried the workaround?

Posted by .

Same issue with me. Maybe the last week or two. I almost always use Safari on my iPad these days. It’s taught me to remember my Session password once and for all! Not critical…

For the first time in years I have been logged out when I went onto the site using Chrome browser.

Had to log in yesterday, and again this morning. Using Safari v 9.1.3

Thanks

I’ve cracked it!

(I think …I mean I’m pretty sure).

My sincerest apologies for all this logging in hassle—I’m pretty sure the issue is resolved now. Let me know if you still have problems after:

* Logging in,
* With the "remember me" option checked,
* Revisiting the site later.

If you’re logged out when revisiting the site, let me know.

For the first time in like two weeks, thesession.org remembered who I was.

Yay!

Me too :)

Phew! :-)

Huzzah! Well done Jeremy.

Sorted. Thank you , Jeremy.

Posted by .

Remembered me when I logged since (?) you made that change…here’s hoping that fix was the one. Heartfelt "Thank You" for all the work you do to run and maintain this site Jeremy.

Posted by .

Thanks, Jeremy. It is working fine.

Posted by .

All grand now, Thanks Jeremy.

Yes, OK here on Mac/Safari. Will try Windows/Chrome later, but thanks, Jeremy!

Windows 10/Chrome had been experiencing the issue but all looks good now. Thanks Jeremy.

I had some problems about one month ago (possibly to due to a password change). Eventually things got OK on my Vista/Chrome computer. A Windows 10/IE client hasn’t worked since then, but I haven’t used it for a few days so maybe it works now?

Now OK on here with Windows and Chrome, but have been logged out on my iPad! (which had, until now, been spared!)

Trish, have you logged back in on the iPad with the "remember me" option checked?

If so, and you get logged out again, let me know.

Just done it now: will let you know later if I stay logged in! Thanks

Ok on iPad, still logged in on iPad after 13 hour absence. Thanks Jeremy.